Advent Calendar

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Price

Hopefully coming just in time to open the first door on December 1st is an Advent Calendar puzzle game I'm making, with one seasonal puzzle hiding behind each of the 24 doors leading up to Christmas.

Coming soon...
I came. I saw. I played.

Marmor

i like the idea and the artwork !

Ian Price

Cheers. The puzzles and puzzle artwork I created myself; the backgrounds I got from Royalty Free sites and adapted for my needs.
I came. I saw. I played.

mentalthink

I rebember the Interface to a post Christmas card, but looks nice!!! , about the puzzle on the second image, it's a huge puzzle , ins't?¿.

Ian Price

All puzzles are around 50x50 pixels - with lots of whitespace on most of them. They take between 4 and 15 minutes to complete, averaging about 10mins.
I came. I saw. I played.

mentalthink

Umm!!! this it's cool 4 or 10 minuts for a travel in "metro" (tube in english?¿) or bus, I rebember a friend of mine doing puzzles, and takes months to finish  :D :D :D

nabz32

nice idea,
never did such puzzles like the one in the screenshot, care to elaborate how they work?

Ian Price

The idea is to draw a continuous chain (of a specified length) from one number to another. The numbers have to match and so do the colours of the numbers - ie connect a red #2 to another red #2. The chain can only be as long as the number you start at and can be drawn in any direction - the lines don't have to be straight. Once all numbers have been linked the puzzle is solved and a picture should be made (you can see the beginnings of a snowman in that picture).

I recently created a (much larger) Halloween single level version recently - look for PixeLink on the forums :)
I came. I saw. I played.

nabz32

So its a bit like picross, but completly different,
need to try this.

Ian Price

In Picross you use the clues to place single tiles (or crosses) - this game has you placing whole "tracks." Obviously in both games, the clues lead to a picture being formed, but that really is the only similarity.

There are no penalties for placing tracks/chains incorrectly in this game, other than they may prevent other tracks being formed properly - but you can undo any moves you make.
I came. I saw. I played.

MrPlow

Wow! Looks good!
Is this just for desktop or are you doing a tablet version too?

Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

Ian Price

It's only for Windows pc and Pandora at the moment. I could do a tablet version, but as fingers are bigger than the cells, I'd have to increase their size and reduce the number of cells visible. And do that in the next couple of days - it would be tight, so no, I'm not planning on doing a tablet version, although my tablet has the same resolution so I could test it and see. I probably will release a non-Christmas themed version next year though for a number of formats.
I came. I saw. I played.

spacefractal

On The Tablet version, possible a cell touch should first been performed when finger is released? Alternative, do a definable cell size (zoom by two fingers). But only if yoou can do that in time of course.

This is a very nice idea and nice theme. Hope you got it finished in time.

Im did a few chrismas songs in the past you eventuelly can uses. Im post them later today.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Ian Price

Cool :) I look forward to hearing them.  :good:

I won't have much of a chance to work on a tablet version of this before Christmas, so I'm not even thinking about control methods just yet. I'll do this and then relax until the New Year, methinks. That will give me some time to catch up on some of the games I got for Christmas last year (and the year before)! :P
I came. I saw. I played.

Ian Price

My PixeLink Christas Advent Calendar is now available to download for Windows pc.

Download from MY SITE

Doors don't officially open until December 1st though...
I came. I saw. I played.