HP webOS/App Catalog OFFICIALLY DEAD.

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Price

Got this email today from HP

webOS Cloud Services to end January 15, 2015
Cloud services support for webOS devices will end on January 15, 2015. We appreciate the effort that our developer community has contributed to the webOS platform. However, it has been more than three (3) years since the last device was sold. Since only a small fraction of the devices are still connecting to our cloud, the time has come to close the services.

The remaining webOS devices will continue to run after the cloud services are terminated. However, they will no longer be able to:

Download new apps or updates. The HP App Catalog will be unavailable after the shutdown
    Backup or restore devices from the cloud
    Setup new devices
    Recover lost passwords

What this means to developers

As of the date of this announcement, no new apps can be submitted to the HP App Catalog
    You can submit updates to the HP App Catalog until November 10, 2014
    Sales will be allowed until November 1st, 2014 in order to give users ample time to access apps prior to the shutdown. Note that the front page of the HP App Catalog will have an announcement about the impending shutdown
    Developers will need to access the Developer Portal before it is shut down on January 15, 2015, to access and download final sales reports, etc.
    Final developer payouts are expected to be made by February 15, 2015

There will be additional reminders as the final shutdown approaches. An FAQ can be found at
http://news.hpwebosnewsletters.com/cgi-bin13/DM/t/hBlrg0cW65u0PwO04W5L0Ew

Timeline

10/15/14    Announcement to users and developers. No new app submissions
    11/1/14      New app purchases end
    11/10/14    App update submissions end
    1/15/15      Public shutdown of services

HP webOS Cloud Services

So long and thanks for all the fish  :'(
I came. I saw. I played.

Marmor

well i use my pre only some days in the month but now its dead.

:nw: to webos
:shit: to HP

anyway i install android 4.4.2 on the touchpad and kill the webos partition.

MrTAToad

I'm surprised it has taken so long for them to finally admit its dead :)

I think its time for webOS compilation to be removed now.

Ian Price

I tend to agree, despite the fact that webOS compilation has no current issues - I compiled a universal app just recently without any problems.

webOS products are still used and there is still a market for them though. I still use my Pre2 every single day. I'm rather attached to it, so I don't look forward to the day I have to give it up.
I came. I saw. I played.

spacefractal

sadly, yes. but since no channels can been used for sell webos or even doing things free, then there is no reason to support webos from glbasic at all. That even its was one of them that was quite free from various issues.

Im did instaled android 4.2 on my HP Touchpad for few month ago and have even wiped webOS out.

Mightbeen we should look for OS like Tizen or WebOS TV such instead for a replacement for WebOS? Im would most perfer Windows Phone 8, but that might not been possible.

Also OS-X_uni can also save to been removed, which is not supported for many years from apple.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Marmor

Ian Price

{QUOTE] but since no channels can been used for sell webos or even doing things free, then there is no reason to support webos from glbasic at all. That even its was one of them that was quite free from various issues.
[/QUOTE]
Actually there are a number of ways to sell and give away your stuff. Try webOSNation for furher info. PreWare is one example. Also you can host and sell/give away your stuff yourself and/or include a "Donate" button.
I came. I saw. I played.

Marmor

ian is right , why killing webos from glbasic , i mean gernot has no problems with to do this later .

Paul Smith

didn't LG buy/Licence  WebOS from HP and use it in all there TVs?
Amstrad CPC 6128, ATARI STE.
Acer  SW5-173 & AMD RYZEN 7,RTX 3060TI

Marmor

its modified , nobody knows anything.

spacefractal

webos as we known is official dead now and im dont thinks the unofficial do a really good job. Preware could been used, but its more used as a utility, not for games.

Im do thinks we needs some clean up:

OS-X_uni
WebOS
Palm-Pixi
WebCE
Win32-dll (does anybody really uses this platform? Here basics like Purebasic is so much better to create dlls than glbasic).

Howover im do thinks those platforms could still been added as a external downloads eventuelly for those who want to use it for various reasons and they still can compile and can works.

But since we have HTML 5 support (even its might not been fully complete), we could do something like this (PhoneGap):
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/hh771462.aspx

to get Windows Phone platform running, just do doing a internal wrapper. Its of course not good as native, but that is much better than nothing. Same with example Chrome OS and such. But Android and iOS should of course still been native because its possible and other platforms that supports openGL.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

MrTAToad

Plus, you would need an expensive TV :)

hardyx

I can't download any apps :(, but today it isn't november 1st yet!!

MrTAToad

HP cant even get shutdown dates correct :)

Ian Price

Finally time to Androidify my TP methinks.

:(
I came. I saw. I played.