Does any one remember SPACE HAWKS on the CPC?

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Price

I personally know the owner and family of the HiSoft guy - he also owned the Cinema4D brand at one point. he runs a guest house in the Isle Of Wight nowadays.
I came. I saw. I played.

Brick Redux

Has he been on the channel 4 prog, four in a bed - by any chance :)
A mournful owner of a HP HDX18 Laptop that has died...FECK!

Ian Price

QuoteHas he been on the channel 4 prog, four in a bed - by any chance 
I have no idea  O_O
I came. I saw. I played.

erico

Sounds like a great guest house to come by!

mentalthink

The good of those times in UK, it's the possibility to make rich, I read if you can make an enterprise from Spain in UK only cost 30E and you have to visit some guys for speak about papers... something wrong in the Spaninsh laws, the standard here.

I read and I look some shows in tv on the people make a lof of money, here the only guy make a lot of money, was the singer of formula V, this guy whit a England guy arrives whit an contract whit all Europe, to sell in Spain the games to 875 pesetas, something like 5€ now, but only in Spain, seems when the games cost this price, ERBE was the distribuitor gain bunch of millions, but the developers... only a good money somtimes for don't abandond the develeper enterprise.

It's the difference between countries on the politics are clever or smarts, or here on only are the friends of the other friends...

Another good point in the 80's in UK was the TV shows, I'm not sure but in TV the BBC have like a courses for the people begin to learn computer programming... here when Spain buy Dragon (really extrange this movement, because Dragon was in bankrupt), in Catalonya begun a tv show for programming whit Dragon, but the computer not works fine here too, and dissapears , I have the idea some one put the hand in the enterprise and put in backrupt again... else perhaps Spain can be now the another South Korea, now the politics here make me small or better cry, they want a Nokia country... Sure 100%  :puke:

Brick Redux

Quote from: Ian Price on 2013-Aug-07
QuoteHas he been on the channel 4 prog, four in a bed - by any chance 
I have no idea  O_O

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_in_a_Bed
A mournful owner of a HP HDX18 Laptop that has died...FECK!

erico

Here some sprites,

I could not work out the original cpc colors at all :( it must be done by hand or I need to study more.

One mock has 16x32 small sprites the other and the png have a better 32x64 effort.
They all require some clean up :-[

edit: the lower res suffers, but somehow I prefer it over the ´amiga´ counterpart O_O.

bigsofty

Quote from: Ian Price on 2013-Aug-06
I personally know the owner and family of the HiSoft guy - he also owned the Cinema4D brand at one point. he runs a guest house in the Isle Of Wight nowadays.

Wow, Devpac is right up there in my top 10 best software purchases of all time, kudos Ian!  :good:
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Ian Price

I came. I saw. I played.

erico

Thanks, here is the latest one with a better size (200x250 upscaled to 800x500).

Original sprites in png, square pixel.
plus a mock

bigsofty

Great sprites Erico, there crying out to be made into shmup!

IIRC the Cpc was pallete based, so they could be any thing. The best idea is to grab an emulator, take a screen shot and then check out the pixel colours in a paint package.

Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

fuzzy70

Although I'm not a huge fan of wikipedia this could be useful as show's the palettes of most of the 8-bit micros

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_8-bit_computer_hardware_palettes

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

bigsofty

Strangely enough, that page actually is wrong as far as the CPC is concerned. Each cpc colour could be selected from a pallete of 4x4x4 RGB bits, total 4096 colours.  Max 16 on screen at any time.
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

Ian Price

Quote from: bigsofty on 2013-Aug-23
Strangely enough, that page actually is wrong as far as the CPC is concerned. Each cpc colour could be selected from a pallete of 4x4x4 RGB bits, total 4096 colours.  Max 16 on screen at any time.
Sorry, but nope. Only the CPC+ range could access 4096 colours, the original CPC only had a valid range of 0 to 26, however you could select colours above 26, which when used with code could be made to do strange things (eg the Speccy type borders when loading games etc.)

And max 16 was dependent on Mode. With Mode switching you could actually have more than 16 on screen.
I came. I saw. I played.

bigsofty

I could be wrong, I'm often getting the CPC and ST mixed up for some reason when I remember ancient coding techniques.

But that being said, the restriction you talk about are probably related to Locomotive Basic rather than the hardware.

I coded (blatant plug! ;)) War Machine on the CPC(http://www.cpcgamereviews.com/w/) many moons ago when I was a nipper. This has a couple of noticable features that would not have been possible with being able to set the pallete.

Raster bars on the title screen, this involved waiting for the VBlank interrupt and then changing the pallet of colour 0(always the background colour), using 100% CPU to match the screen retrace gun. This allows for a tonne of colours on the screen and drawing the bars into the borders. I think I was the first to do this on the CPC. It would not been possible without being able to set the colour palette in real-time.

Also, the pause screen, which greys out the entire screen and  zaps each colour back in, all done by simply changing the current palette.

As I said though, it's patchy in some areas(I blame too much smoking of the old herbal ciggies during that period! :D), so I could still be wrong. ;)

Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)