Red Wizard Island

Previous topic - Next topic

r0ber7

I have a blog, but all I post there is what I post in here, sometimes a bit more over there. Glad to see you enjoyed the demo.  =D

Today I took some of the feedback and made it happen.

- double jump is now working plus extra sparkles when you jump just for fun.
- powerups no longer get stuck in the ground where you can't reach them.

Next up is spell switching with the number keys (FPS style) and some nice icons to go with that. Some slightly new gfx I did earlier:

King

Royal guard (lost pink pixel not intended)

r0ber7

- added ampos' z project to the code so I can scale to any resolution, and in addition I've added a zoom function.
- getting hit while climbing didn't reset the climbing routine, fixed.
- critters were talking when they shouldn't be talking, fixed.
- changed mouse detection routine, shouldn't give people with double monitors any more trouble.

Porting all graphics commands to the z project's commands was quite a hassle. Still some left to do. Having problems with fonts and printing text. The main menu is a mess right now. But it's been worth it already. Finally got me my zoom function which I've wanted for a long time.  :good:

Now, I go to :bed:

Wampus

Great work. Its cheering to read about all your progress. Nice to see you adding ideas from suggestions (that work). Commendable.  =D

I know how much work it be to retrofit a fixed-resolution game for flexible resolution, so sympathies about the hassle with that.

r0ber7

Quote from: Wampus on 2012-Apr-06
Great work. Its cheering to read about all your progress. Nice to see you adding ideas from suggestions (that work). Commendable.  =D

:) You guys are most supportive, it seems fitting to add in some of the suggestions. Besides, most of them I wanted to do anyway. ;) And they're good suggestions. If someone would say omg why no make robots with lasers in 3D, I wouldn't. :P

So, today.

- modified the z_print routine somewhat, no more trouble with font drawing now. menu is back in normal shape.
- the flash trail wasn't working any more, fixed.
- all things that still needed to be adjusted to the universal scaling now are, with one tiny exception i just noticed which won't be a problem.
- picking up potions no longer displays text, but icons, as someone suggested it would be more intuitive and i agree.

It's come to my attention that I really need a more solid way of collision detection. Somehow, sometimes, you fall through the ground... It only happens occasionally. I suspect it's when you fall through the "crack" between two blocks of 32 pixels. If that's the case I could adjust for it with a slightly bigger boxcoll or animcoll. If it isn't, I don't know. It's hard to debug a bug that only happens once every now and then. Makes it hard to reproduce and to check if possible solutions work.  :doubt:

erico

zombie stripper robot steam punk from out of space maybe? :P

r0ber7

Quote from: erico on 2012-Apr-07
zombie stripper robot steam punk from out of space maybe? :P

Haha. Only if he wears a viking helmet.

Alright.

- really everything is now scaled correctly.
- improved collision detection, wasn´t so hard as i expected it to be. no more falling through the ground.
- added a brief period of invincibility after getting hurt. this way, you won't get stuck in the water or in a corner anymore while constantly getting hit.
- improved icon graphics
- improved jump animation
- modified level files a bit so that everything gets drawn the way it should
- added secondary fireball impact on enemies (no graphics, just means that if a fireball hits, more than one enemy in a group will bounce away). this seemed logical, if a huge explosion goes off right next to you, chances are you won't walk right through it. :P
- last but not least: switching spells can now be done with the number keys, FPS style, and when a spell has been selected an icon pops up instead of a text.

Well, that's it for today. Not much on the graphics side lately, think I'll go focus on that now. Variety is good.

Cia.  :whistle:

P.S. I just contacted the music guy. If all goes well, there will be music for the main menu this sunday. Asked him to post @ www.psyview.nl/blog when it's finished.

r0ber7

Somehow my last post didn't make it here, so this is from yesterday:

- added jump blocks. you know, the ones that make you jump really high. boing!
- little flying dragons now spit fire. it looks really awesome i think.
- received music for the main menu. (gonna listen to it later. music guy tells me he wants to keep the same style in all the pieces, so that's good.)

The fire the dragons spit consists of a row of seperate sprites that follow an inverse bouncing algorithm. So now I have a standard algorithm for things like smoke, balloons, what have you. Everything that floats up. Having fun being back at developing this game. :)

And today:

- viking chicken now also spits fire (throw in some additional hp and it really is a boss!)
- viking chicken no longer falls through ground for no apparent reason
- a new weird bug showed itself. no idea of the cause, again
- perfected fireball hits
- added sweet sfx for the flames of the dragons/chicken
- received new music

r0ber7

-->

King's castle. Not satisfied about the doors & windows yet. Other than that I think it turned out pretty well.  8)

Ian Price

Very nice - bouncy castle stylee! :)
I came. I saw. I played.

r0ber7

Quote from: Ian Price on 2012-Apr-11
Very nice - bouncy castle stylee! :)

Haha, hadn't thought of that! But now you mention it... Well, that's sort of the style I'm going for, so good. :)

Improved, I think. The windows and door feel less glued on and more part of the picture. Think I'll turn my attention to the bird now. Eventually, you get to fly a bird, and there will be at least one level like this game.

Ian Price

The newer version is much better :)
I came. I saw. I played.

r0ber7

Quote from: Ian Price on 2012-Apr-11
The newer version is much better :)

Thanks, how about this one? ;-)

That's 1,5 day of work for you. Little guards for context, but mostly for fun. Thanks to Facet @Pixelation for the great suggestions which have made this. I'm pretty much content with how it is right now. Maybe I'll change the gate back to a door, but other than that, I'm satisfied. :)

Really proud to see my pixel skills developing, I think now I feel confident enough to do some proper night sky backgrounds.

Ian Price

I think the portcullis is a fantastic addition and much better than the door.
The castle itself looks better with the extra side walls and the darkened background gives it more depth, making it appear more realistic than the cardboard cutout it was (although it didn't look as 2D until now).

Nice :)
I came. I saw. I played.

r0ber7

- created some villagers' children.
- did this:

First layouts for a flying bird. This will become the bird you fly on after leaving the castle.

r0ber7

Today's result:

Don't worry, the bottom of the wing does exist. It's just that my poorly written animation testing program seems to fail at bigger images.