Reggie World ( Pandora , PC )

Previous topic - Next topic

Slydog

Love this!  :good:  Coming along very well.
My current project (WIP) :: TwistedMaze <<  [Updated: 2015-11-25]

nabz32

Added new features today :)

-Replaced the fog with my own pseudo fog ( Better control of the actual Fog Position and the ability to offset the fog etc. )
-Added custom texturable skyboxes to the leveldata
-Added animations for tile textures, right now only up to 4 frames.
-Added flickering option for lights.
-Added option to input the start map and start point for the campaign.
-Added option to define Waterheight and Watertexture for each map.

Marmor

Kannste mal aufhörn , ich krieg komplexe :D

nabz32

Here is also a screenshot of the new "fogging" =D:

nabz32

More stuff!

-Added rails and mine carts.

-Added new Inventory system.

-Added swimming.

-Added the option to add music to each Level in the editor.

-Added an exit / entrance system ( easier to connect points in the editor plus Level connections now stand out for the player to see ). Before it was only possible to connect Levels through teleports.

-Improved Motorcycle controls.

-Fixed nasty Bug, Player could walk through diagonals at some movement timer values, but not anymore =D ( It was because I declared two important variables as int as a mistake, but they should have been float from the begining on :S )

Screenshots and Videos:

Inventory System:

Water and swimming ( without the swimming animation frames for the player though )

Minecart and rails:

kanonet

very nice. Any detail on how did make the splash and waves animations on the water? Looks like decals, but I dont belive this...
Lenovo Thinkpad T430u: Intel i5-3317U, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce 620M, Micron RealSSD C400 @Win7 x64

nabz32

The splash waves are just one 3D plain with alpha testing and alpha mode,
they are scaled and blended out smoothly till their time comes. Pandoras GPU dosen´t seem to slow down much when using Alphatesting a lot.

I also thought of adding a low poly cylinder with a texture that looks like wavey water from the side, for stronger splashes.

I also did real 3D splash waves in another project back in dbpro, but the Tilesize I use for the watergrid is to large to look any good
( the tilesize is double the tilesize of the terrain, for a better performance on the pandora ).

kanonet

But you need one plain for each splash wave - how do you avoid z-fighting issues?
Lenovo Thinkpad T430u: Intel i5-3317U, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce 620M, Micron RealSSD C400 @Win7 x64

nabz32

I am using the same plain for every splash wave. ( scaled and positioned and drawn )
for the Pandora the z-fighting issues are way more persistent than on the PC.
I just draw the splash wave higher than the water surface, the Y difference needed to avoid the z issues is still not visible to the naked eye ( perhaps only if you look really really close ).
I also could just update the texture for the watertiles which have the splash on them, but this would mean I have to convert the water texture images and the splash waves into a directly readable format, to avoid using the not working sprite2mem command on the Pandora. ( I used this method for the health bar and the file size turned out to be a bit larger than the bmps )

Schranz0r

Ohne Flax... Du bist so ein geiler Hund!  :blink:
I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

kanonet

Quote from: nabz32 on 2014-Nov-21for the Pandora the z-fighting issues are way more persistent than on the PC.
I just draw the splash wave higher than the water surface, the Y difference needed to avoid the z issues is still not visible to the naked eye ( perhaps only if you look really really close ).
I guess z-fightung issues are more visible on pandora, because it uses floats (correct?) for calculations, while PC uses doubles.
Since you draw several splash waves, does his mean, you draw your plane at several highs, which means, that you effectively increase water level?

nabz32

The splash waves z-fights between each other are not really visible to the eye, since its only some small texture spaces overlapping directly.
So I can draw those at the same height.

I am thinking about adding the need to breathe air under water. It has some pros and cons I have to weigh up against each other.
Also thinking about seperating the jumping force gained through items and swimming power from each other, right now swimming is just applying the jump force multiplicated by a certain factor. So equipping items that gain jump force also increase the players swimming abillity.
If I would add a swimming force skill to the player also, the player would need to equip items that help him to swim, or I could just give him a standart swimming abillity that can´t be improved during the game. Decisions decisions...

Ian Price

I suppose swimming or walking would depend on the depth of the water. It would be cool to have underwater levels, like the Mario games, but need to suck in air, a la Sonic.

IMHO this is shaping up to be a real highlight for GLBasic and of course your own skills too :)  :good:

:nw:
I came. I saw. I played.

nabz32

QuoteI suppose swimming or walking would depend on the depth of the water.
Yeah the speed of movement depends on how far the body of the player is under water, also the player is slightly faster when he does a swim motion.
I added maxAir and swimSkill attributes to the Player.
This way the Player needs to improve those skills to be able to explore water Levels to the max.

I now interpolate the Frame Timer Variable, which results in smoother movements on the Pandora version.

Enemys and items can now be connected to block types.

Tiles now hide smoothly.

Added 3 saveslots for saves, Added a save block, enabled saving.

Player Texture is now dynamically put together to match the Players equipped items.

Added dying, smooth map transitions and game over.

Added coin record / cash system as planned.

Added more variety to Event commands and added some new ones
Actions:
Change Event Object , camera position set ( as opposed to camera move ) , Hide interface ).
Conditions:
check for coin record , check for using an item.
Added "Player on ground" flag to the conditions player action and player collision.

Added fuel interface sprite.

Added fire sprite for Jetpack exhaust effect.

Fixed handling of shadow on Tiles that needed special UV Scaling.

Made new Models, Maps, enemys, Blocks...

New Videos:

An older video of the PC Version:

A more up to date video of the game running on the Pandora:

erico

This is coming out awesome.

but I have a quirk to comment, and I hope you excuse me that way...
I believe the end-world(borders) you have around the actual game world, like an empty space, could be dealt a better way.
Maybe an extension of the the borders on a slightly different color? what do you think? Zeldas may help that front in inspiration.
It is just that empty space seems like an immersion breaker to me.