More translations

Previous topic - Next topic

XaMMaX

Can you show me your font with russian and with german characters for example?
Sry for my english

AndyH

Here's what my default charset looks like.

If I set it to Russian, I get the characters seen in your screenshot, however they sit in the same places as the accented characters.

Moru

You need to switch fonts depending on what language you are using at the moment, just save it as font_rus.bmp and font_eng.bmp or similar

AndyH

My font's are hand drawn so it's not so simple.  I've got two fonts in different colours for the main parts of the game.  I've got a third larger which is the only one generated from a TTF.  If I had the time to draw these extra characters I could just use LOADFONT to replace as you suggest, but I don't think I will be able to do it for the competition deadline.

XaMMaX

Send me your hand draw fonts i can draw russian characters in it if you would like
Sry for my english

Kitty Hello

AndyH - is there anything you might want to see improved in the font dialog? Gradients or something?

Moru

I would like something in the font dialog, a way of saving the settings in the project so you can easily make small changes a year later when you have forgotten what settings you had :-)

XaMMaX

It will be nice if i could add russian characters but don't add extra characters thich double the height =\
Sry for my english

Kitty Hello

russian (as well as German Umlaut or any non-ascii) characters always use the upper 128 bytes.
I'll upload an update.. wait - it's already online... that can save the settings for the font-dialog.

XaMMaX

I mean width(?) between characters. Extra characters like % or № usually double width so i prefer not have them at all. My english sucks so i will try to show ^_- :

Sry for my english

AndyH

I can send you the plain version of the fonts, I apply a filter and then outline them after that.

Font dialog - Selecting the folder+filename button always gets me.  I expect this to create the font, I seem to miss the "OK create" button a little too easily!  I click the X close box and then my settings are lost.  So yes, being able to save/load the font settings would be useful.  Saving the last font settings used and restoring these when you next open the font tool would be very welcome too.

The sliders for font size - could do with a text box next to this showing the actual value and allowing you to edit that.

Being able to set a fixed X and Y size per character would be handy.  By default you could choose to let the X and Y size be set by the size of the font, but if you can override this I can create precise fonts for templates that I can then edit.  Would be useful following this to choose how to align each character inside each cell, Top|Middle|Bottom, Left|Centre|Right.

If possible, would be nice to have an option to set the X and Y scale/size of the character independantly - so I can stretch the fonts in the shape I want by choosing a Width and Height instead of just one slider for the font size.  I can do this in BMax as it loads TTF fonts natively and supports the X and Y scale parameters of the SetScale command.

As for the PRINT command in GLBasic itself, it would be extremely cool to be able to supply a colour parameter to tint the font.  At the moment I have got two fonts to get two colours - a bit of extra memory is required and I'm limitted to the 8 (?) fonts loaded at one time plus the maintenance of physically creating extra font tilemaps.  The POLYVECTOR command lets you specify a colour and this seems the way to go.  I was planning to write a POLYVECTOR font function at some point, so I could use this (and also scale/rotate my strings).  This is a cool feature of BMax  as it supports the SetColor, SetScale, SetRotation etc commands with the text printing.  I think I should be able to emulate that in my BMax wrapper (see the code example forum for that) but I think the extra GL Basic code to achieve that won't be as quick as a dedicated print command that supports colour, rotation and scale - something I'm concious of when developing my game to be compatible with the Pocket PC and GP2X as well as Desktop platforms.

Kitty Hello

OK, good idea. I think about a TEINT function.

AndyH

Tint would be an excellent addition :)

Here's the font stripped down to a single colour.  I can manipulate it with the filters later if you are able to work your magic on the Russian character set.

One other thing, could you use RGB(0,0,8) (darkest blue) to draw a single pixel outline around the characters as seen in this image.  Finally, its 9x9 in size per character.

I'm using flags to show the current language - I'll post up what I've got when I've added the others if you wouldn't mind checking I've not made a boo boo on it... for example us brits get very upset when the Union Jack is upside down! ;)

XaMMaX

Here is beta(wip):

Header russian characters must be support so far. Is it something wrong in it?
Sry for my english

AndyH

Thanks XaMMax.