My new remake: Black Widow

Previous topic - Next topic

Sokurah

Hi guys,

I've decided to put a link to my latest remake here. It's in BlitzMax and not in GLBasic - I've still only done the one in GLB (Binary Land) - but as you're programmers and love games like me ...and may not check the same sites as I do, I think there might be a chance you'll appreciate it anyway. ;)

The original arcade game was originally made by Atari in 1982 and since I love it I've remade it - like so many other vectorgraphics games - with glowing graphics.

QuoteBlack Widow is an arena-shooter, where the object is to defeat the insects and get as far as you can. As a spider in the center of the web, you must defend it and yourself from invading bugs. These foes will try to run into you, blow you up if shoot them, or fire rockets at you if you do not kill the other enemies! It has been described as a cross between Robotron: 2084 due to one joystick being used for movement and another one for firing. Does not have as many objects on the screen as Robotron but gets quite intense anyway.

You can get the game from my site, here: http://tardis.dk/wordpress/?page_id=445 ...and like all my other games, it's absolutely free.  :)

Here's a couple of pictures of it;

...it will also do pure lines if you're not into glowing graphics

Website: Tardis remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware. :-)
Twitter: Sokurah

Ian Price

It looks great :)

Hope you don't mind Soks, but I moved this to the "Off Topic" section of the forum - Announcements should be for anything GLB related.
I came. I saw. I played.

Sokurah

Ahh, okay. I looked (superficially) and think I noticed stuff that wasn't GLB related, so I posted it there.
But it has to be where it's supposed to be, so thanks for keeping me on a short leash.  ;) =D
Website: Tardis remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware. :-)

MrTAToad

Yes, it does look rather good :)

mentalthink

Nice Work, buff to much work for make graphics?¿... a lot of coordinates?¿...

The game it´s very nice visually... only it´s for desktop?¿...

Congratulations!!!

erico

Nice! I remember it but never actually played the original.
Will give it a go... who can resist glowing polygons anyways? ;/

MrTAToad

What program did you use to create the vector graphics ?  Or was it just a list of coordinates on grid paper ?

Sokurah

Quote from: MrTAToad on 2012-Oct-11
What program did you use to create the vector graphics ?  Or was it just a list of coordinates on grid paper ?

I've already answered on Twitter, but for anyone else thinking the same: I've used my own homemade vector editor, which I originally developed for Rip Off, and has kept adding to ever since.

bigsofty

This looks great, I'm a big fan of vector graphics (I'm currently doing one myself). Black Widow although obscure, is a little gem of a game.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Sokurah

Quote from: bigsofty on 2012-Oct-12
This looks great, I'm a big fan of vector graphics (I'm currently doing one myself). Black Widow although obscure, is a little gem of a game.

Thanks. I like it obscure though - that's the whole idea.  ;)

What are you working on yourself?

bigsofty

I'm doing a 3D vector shmup, it's an original concept(Bits of Tempest and Starwars are definitely in there though) butI am really trying attain the feel of what you have achieved here, in that it has a genuine 80's arcade feel, a golden age game design IMHO.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

erico

Quote from: bigsofty on 2012-Oct-13
... a genuine 80's arcade feel, a golden age game design IMHO.

IMO too, specially on the mechanics.