Pocket PC 3D - slower

Previous topic - Next topic

mikiex

Just noticed you updated pocket pc 3d to be faster and more robust?
Seems a lot slower on my mda compact :(

bigsofty

Slower for me too, the Frog Jump demo is unplayable 4fps... BUT the 3D is more compatible, more demos run.

Loox410
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

kanati

3D, I doubt, is going to be very good on any pocket pc that doesn't have 3D accelerated hardware.  And right now that's still somewhat of a minority.

Kuron

Even if you have 3D accelerated hardware on a PocketPC device, what are the chances of having OpenGL drivers to actually take advantage of that 3D accelerated hardware?

bigsofty

Thats not the point, the 3D was faster before the last update.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Kitty Hello

OK. If it was faster before, I'll change it back. Really strange.

bigsofty

Its a real pity as compatibility, for me, was much better?
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

Kuron

QuoteThats not the point, the 3D was faster before the last update.
Thanks for not answering my question.

Kitty Hello

Currently GLBasic does not support hardware acceleration. I might consider OpenGL|ES support in the future.

Kitty Hello

Get an update and see if it improved now...

kanati

QuoteEven if you have 3D accelerated hardware on a PocketPC device, what are the chances of having OpenGL drivers to actually take advantage of that 3D accelerated hardware?
The Dell Axim x50v was shipping with two open gl games before it was replaced with the x51v...  not sure why they got rid of them with the upgrade...

Kitty Hello

Yes, sure. Personally I think PocketPCs in general will not gain 3D acceleration. It's not their main target and if you want 3D you'd better get a NintendoDS or a PSP console. PocketPC has a lot of other drawbacks as:
-Asking for key/mouse input drops framerates dramatically (that's a hardware defect)
-Being unable to check 2 buttons simultanously on most devices
-No 8 way D-pad
-a lot of overhead in the background

What's really great about PocketPCs is, that most people have them and do not really know what to do with them. So they need games! You can write a whole bunch of good games on PocketPC, but 3D is not its strength. I use my Smartphone much more than my PocketPC now, though I'd love to have a GSM phone in my PocketPC instead.
Anyway - did you test the new update - should speed things up.

bigsofty

Quote from: GernotFrischYes, sure. Personally I think PocketPCs in general will not gain 3D acceleration. It's not their main target and if you want 3D you'd better get a NintendoDS or a PSP console. PocketPC has a lot of other drawbacks as:
-Asking for key/mouse input drops framerates dramatically (that's a hardware defect)
-Being unable to check 2 buttons simultanously on most devices
-No 8 way D-pad
-a lot of overhead in the background

What's really great about PocketPCs is, that most people have them and do not really know what to do with them. So they need games! You can write a whole bunch of good games on PocketPC, but 3D is not its strength. I use my Smartphone much more than my PocketPC now, though I'd love to have a GSM phone in my PocketPC instead.
Anyway - did you test the new update - should speed things up.
Strangely this, to a certain extent, appeals to me. because of these restrictions, a PocketPC game will never survive on flashy media or feature packed 3D engine. The PSP esp. has a lot of games that look great but the gameplay sucks. PocketPC games scene is based on gaimplay 1st a foremost, its more 'adult' as a result of this. Ive allways been a big fan of turn based games, puzzles, trategic gameplay...

The one thing that is always expanding on PocketPC, is processor speed, this in turn will lead to better and better software 3D engines. So even without hardware acceleretion, the future of PocketPC 3D looks bright IMHO.

P.S. Kuron, excuse me if I interrupted your question, I was just worried that the thread was becoming off topic.

Ill try the 3D tomorrow, when I am back home.
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

kanati

ATI and Nvidia both have 3D accelerated mobile solutions...  They are still somewhat new, but they DO have them and the newest models are implementing it.  My x51v has 3d acceleration, but I think it's an intel solution so it's not all that great.

mikiex

Windows mobile 5 supports direct3d mobile
Which is a step in the right direction, intergration
of hardware 3d should become more common.

maybe microsoft will release a handheld console...