my first seuck game

Previous topic - Next topic

gernot66

since no one else posts here, i have a lot of space to fill...  8)

ok, only 50secs and the level is already finished (and i'm finished to)... horrible.

most of the sprites are based on screenshots of some models i made for pioneer space sim
quite a different thing compared to a shoot 'em up.

but, yeah i like the GACK

took me a while to get comfortable with it, i missed some proper descriptions for certain things if you're a noobe on it.

like someone should have told me that the top background layer will be filled by default with the same tiles as the background...
i was wondering for quite a while why my ship allways explodes when entering the game. now i know there are some "traps" build in.
also bullets never left the ship until... i forgot exactly how i managed it, i guess animation speed, but i'm not sure.
anyway now i have a good reference project i can use.

if you really like to involve children  :) you need a very good explained help. every step should be described exactly so you won't miss anything and don't run always into deadends.

the very first games construction kit was made for kids, i guess it was never published here in europe.
it was GAME FACTORY for the enhanced (additional keyboard and tape storage) Intellivision console,
something i could have only dreamed of then.
of course game factory was very limited and you couldn't made actually real games, only hop around with some characters in a still screen.
but the system is the same, make tiles for the background and add some animated sprites.
in hoc signo vinces

Kitty Hello

Very nice game. Thanks for posting here. If you have any advice how to make GACK better, post some details, please.

Ian Price

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2011-Jun-28
Very nice game. Thanks for posting here. If you have any advice how to make GACK better, post some details, please.

GACK? Do you mean SEUCK?

GAC was the GRAPHIC ADVENTURE CREATOR - have you any plans to create the GRAPHIC ADVENTURE CONSTRUCTION KIT? ;)
I came. I saw. I played.

Kitty Hello

I changed the name, because SEUCK might have been copyrighted or whatnot. GACK means "Game App CK". I plan to make a "player" app available on many platforms (including an online store) and an iPad version to create games. Would be cool to have something like: buy a game for $1 and it goes directly into the pocket of the creator of the game. I fear Apple does not allow Paypal, though :/

gernot66

something i guess that helps much, tooltips on all function buttons, if you can disable them later they won't hurt.
i guess the few ones that are already present helped me much.

the filelist (e.g. the one for the background tiles) should be sizeable and keep the chosen size. very uncommon but perhaps some idiot like me likes to make a background from a picture and nine in a row are uncomfortable with a screen width of 640 when each tile is 64 (or 32).
i know usually it's not meant to use it this way, but i guess nowadays we don't have to fear for memory use or filesize to much.

palettes should be saveable and perhaps loadable from a .bmp, it would make it easier to create a special palette for a game.
"nostalgia" used a simple bitmap to load and save palettes, you could change it then in a paint program which has all the palette tools you need.

yes, if it's not copyrighted use "seuck", people will remember it by this name.
in hoc signo vinces

gernot66

shortly after i posted it i realized why it's this way (spawn enemy)  ;)

here's another wip i started, more fascinating then a space shooter, imo

i guess i have to size the screen a bit up, you can't see no points.

[attachment deleted by admin]
in hoc signo vinces

gernot66

slight update

in hoc signo vinces

Kitty Hello

Very nice!!
I uploaded an update that has a set of new features. Please get it and see if you like them and if all works out.

It's a Windows build, only - are you on a Mac?

Schranz0r

HAHA, cool game!
I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

gernot66

ok, long time no see, hm?

i lost accsess to web that's all, actually i still have no, but my mothers got a lap-top now (macbook)

no, i use a rotten PC with a broken down gfx card (new now).

but i was quite creative since that so i will put the actual wip's here for you to check them out.
except for the "Eagle" space shooter are all projects really unfinished.

"Eagle" has 4 levels and ends after that with a congratulation to the pilot.

"Demon" is in very early stage, lot of tweaking must be done, it's hard to make a static shoot 'em up.

"Adventure" has 4 levels now, while the 4th is unfinished, before i continue with it at all, i feel level 3 and 4! are to hard, what do you think?
i can't manage to get through 4 myself...

in hoc signo vinces

gernot66

"Frog"
was born on the idea to make a game suitable for children, but has become somewhat hard. basically i wanted to copy "frog bog" from intellivision, only catch some insects for points, but see yourself what it became.

"Copter"
another funny idea a "shoot YOU up" game...

in hoc signo vinces

Kitty Hello

You're pretty awesome with what you did.
The new version will have a _lot_ of interesting features, like "4 elements" for shots and players, power-ups and more.

I'm planning to bring the editor to the touchpad devices. Do you coincidetally have an iPad/HP touchpad or an android pad?

gernot66

as a "poor starving artist", i'm happy i have a pc running at home  ;/
in hoc signo vinces

Kitty Hello

ok, no big deal. We'll find a solution for that.

mentalthink

Jeehaa!!!, it´s very nice game... like C64... ohhh those times  :'( :'( :'(

The sounds are amazing, it´s abosulety brutal the "woowou"...

Good Job!!!  :booze: :booze: