iPad 3 Retina Support

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Schneider

Quote from: DaCarSoft on 2012-Jun-20
Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2012-Jun-19
DaCarSoft - did you test the iPad3 screen resolution settings as well? Oh genius!!

Yes!!! I was testing it by entering the retina resolutions by hand in the text box, to force the 2048x1536 resolution...

I have tested the 1024x768 resolution also under iPad 3, and it works fine, without blur effects or antialias...  It looks just like under iPad 2 or 1, like I told before...

I think that I told you in one of my emails sent to you :P

Only for be sure, you are talking about the new GLBASIC 11, right?, not modifying the project properties in XCode or something else.

erico

I don´t think kitty hello has access to GLB 11 :P >:D

Kitty Hello

Oh, I do. I am already at the point of the crash now. Already a bit further. If everything goes well - and it looks quite promising now - V11 will have a huge candy added.

DaCarSoft

Quote from: Dark Schneider on 2012-Jun-20
Only for be sure, you are talking about the new GLBASIC 11, right?, not modifying the project properties in XCode or something else.

Yes, GLBasic 11 only ;)
"Si quieres resultados distintos... no hagas siempre lo mismo" - Albert Einstein.

Ian Price

QuoteV11 will have a huge candy added.

Let's hope the candy is nothing like these -

:P

Looking forward to this  :nw:  :happy:
I came. I saw. I played.

Hark0

Quote from: Ian Price on 2012-Jun-20
QuoteV11 will have a huge candy added.

Let's hope the candy is nothing like these -

:P

Looking forward to this  :nw:  :happy:

Penis Candy?????

:D

http://litiopixel.blogspot.com
litiopixel.blogspot.com - Desarrollo videojuegos Indie · Pixel-Art · Retroinformática · Electrónica Development Indie Videogames · Pixel-Art · Retrocomputing · Electronic

Kitty Hello

I'd rather buy the counterpart.

erico

You mean this one? :P

...now please gentleman, we can all clearly see this is a legit oyster flavored lollipop! nothing wrong with it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ian Price

I... um... er...  :blink:   :S  :D
I came. I saw. I played.

DaCarSoft

XDDDDD

Out of the jokes: I have to correct my comments...  :(  I said that there was not blur on the iPad 3 screen with the Beta 11 compiling for 1024x768, but I just tested with some pixel art graphics, and I can appreciate a little shading or blurring around the pixels...    It's hard to appreciate the difference until you compare using the native retina resolutions and (for example) ZOOMSPRITE from GLBasic.

It depends on the graphic style that you uses, and if you like "smoothshading" or not...   But yes, there is some blurring if you forces 1024x768 from the GLBasic project settings.
"Si quieres resultados distintos... no hagas siempre lo mismo" - Albert Einstein.

Hemlos

Why dont use you just compile the games using the native screen resolution?

The resolution you use will obscure images, if you dont overlap the resolution to the native resolution.
To make a perfect fit these are available as preset default screensizes:

960x640 should be full screen, cover all the pixels perfectly.
These are proportional too
480x320
640x480
320x480

What GLBasic doesnt have natively is windows HD screen sizes
1280x720
1280x768
1920x1080 would be nice too
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

DaCarSoft

Hi Hemlos

I know...  I know...    =D

I was talking about the possibility of GLBasic 11 to let you compile correctly (for iPad 3) GLBasic's applications made for 1024x768 resolutions without changes.

If you have the last version of XCode, and GLBasic 10, your applications will run using only 1/4 of screen in the "new" iPad 3, because of the new retina resolution...    With GLBasic 10 and XCode 4.3.X your app will ignore the 1024x768 setting and will run natively at 2048x1536 but obviously reduced, starting at the top right corner of the screen...

With GLBasic 11, you can force the 1024x768 to upscale and fit for retina screens without changing the code, but with a little blurring.

Of course, you can forget this fact and use the full resolution of each device and DRAWSPRITE, STRETCHSPRITE, ZOOMSPRITE or POLYVECTORs...  with SMOOTHSHADING OFF   =D

Regards!

BdR

Oops, it seems I missed this bit of info and I've just released a new version of my Snake Slider game. On the new iPad it displays using 2048x1536 making the game take only 1/4 of the screen. O_O

BdR

okay I'm running into a weird problem here. I'm trying the new GLBasic V11 because of iPad3 problems, but now I get low resolution on my iPod4. :(

I have set the project resolution to 768x1024 and with GLBv10 the app would then run with best resolution. So on an iPod 4 the command GETSCREENSIZE would get a resolution of 640x960 and on iPad it would give 768x1024.

But now with GLBasic v11 when I run my app on my iPod 4G (retina) the app starts in 320x480 mode, which is the resolution of 3G devices, instead of 640x960. What am I doing wrong?

Some info:
GLBasic v11.171
XCode 4.2 (I can't upgrade to higher XCode because of MacMini)
iPod 4G
libpng-gf.a => 15-sep-2012
libGLBasiciPhone-egl.a => 15-sep-2012

spacefractal

Ii forget totally to test your game on iPad 3. Yes it's run only 1/4, but goodness on the center, which mean you uses a offbuffer? If I'm are right you could fix the issue with ZOOMSPRITE by drawing the offscreen picture by two? You we not getting real retina graphics, but its could fixing the fullscreen.

You also might found a glbasic bug, so it's night happens as well in normal retina? It's should not been happens, but nice bug found.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/