Red Wizard Island

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruidesco

Ahahahaha oh boy that chicken :D The only thing that could make it better would be a beard. And that dragon, it looks kinda... exhibitionist. :P
Cool fireball upgrade there as well. By the way, have you thought about what kind of mouse pointer will the game have?

Great work! :good:

r0ber7

:) Haven't decided on the pointer yet. I've considered a pentacle, sparkley stars with a trail, or a staff. It should be something magical and clear. My favourite idea is the sparkle trail, except the wiz already has one so it'd be kind of confusing and not very unique.

Started work on level 2. Looking good so far. Didn't have much time today (only a bit this evening) so that's about it. Gonna work a little more on gfx for keys, locked doors, and the viking ghost before I go to bed.

r0ber7

- Ghosts added.
- Added the fireball upgrade as described earlier. Looks awesome and it's way too powerful right now. So I'll need to give enemies more hp (not just one shot kills) and introduce a mana bar (big spells cost big mana) to balance things out.
- Level 2 is mostly finished now. Needs trees and background and little details.
- Added some tiles so I can make caves and tunnels.
- Tweaked player movement a bit.

Might start on the black hole warp thing tomorrow. Youtube update later this week.

r0ber7

Here's a quick gif of a viking ghost. I think I'll have it spit blue glowing balls at you.

r0ber7

Today:
- added some pretty powerup pickup effects
- finished level 2 landscape
- added code, gfx & sfx for locked doors & keys
- added some tiles

Yesterday:
- made this:

fuzzy70

I can safely say, as far as chickens go that one is OFFICIALLY scary  :D

Out of interest what are you using to generate the graphics?

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

r0ber7

Quote from: fuzzy70 on 2011-Nov-12
I can safely say, as far as chickens go that one is OFFICIALLY scary  :D

If you wait a few months you can fight it in the free demo. ;)

Out of interest what are you using to generate the graphics?

I'm using a sketchbook and pencil, haha. Also, I use Gimp for the bigger stuff & effects (tracing sketches, blurs, landscapes, etc). I use Grafx2 for the pixel work (pieces of grass, little enemies, grid tiles, refining the bigger stuff).

Just added sfx for the ghost getting hit, and tweaked collision detection for ramps a bit. Not much time to work on it today. Once I've got the viking chicken endboss fight all pixeled & coded in I'll release another video. I'm putting the black hole warp thing on hold for now, perhaps next week. First I want to finish all of the things required to get level 2 & 3 up and running.

r0ber7

I just tested out the latest version at a friend's place. All works fine, except fullscreen does not. When I press f11 the game should switch to fullscreen 640x400. It does not, instead it just flickers a bit and continues in windowed mode. He's using a relatively high resolution (>1280), and two monitors.

Any thoughts?

Ruidesco

Newer operating systems like W7 just don't support anything below 640x480 anymore. You should use a bigger resolution and use GRABSPRITE/STRETCHSPRITE (or some other scaling method) to adapt the game to it.

erico

oh my, that single chicken could safe guard a house! No thieves could handle that look!
great!

Ruidesco

From this end, it looks like doing something else...
Sorry, couldn't resist :P

r0ber7

Quote from: Ruidesco on 2011-Nov-12
Newer operating systems like W7 just don't support anything below 640x480 anymore. You should use a bigger resolution and use GRABSPRITE/STRETCHSPRITE (or some other scaling method) to adapt the game to it.

Yeah, he's running Windows 7. Alright, I found a way to use the GRABSPRITE / STRETCHSPRITE method while still keeping my 60 fps. I've had to reduce the actual playfield from 640x400 to 480x300 in order to keep the framerate up, but I don't mind. In fact, I think seeing pixels has its charm. In the menu (when I make one later on) I'll give some options about this in the settings.

Quote from: Ruidesco on 2011-Nov-12

:D Hahaha! Best thing I've seen all day, thank you.

r0ber7

Someone on TIGSource got me thinking about multiplayer support. I really love the idea of having wizard vs. wizard combat. I've done network coding in C before (unix & Windows) so I suspect GLBasic wouldn't be that hard to implement. Yet, I have no idea, and besides, I'd have to buy GLBasic first. ;)

But I'll do that anyway soon I think. Anyone here have experience on setting up multiplayer? I'll go search the forums later, got a birthday to go to today.

Hatonastick

Yeah there's a few tutorials around on it -- some by Kitty himself on the forums.  GLB has two lots of network commands: raw (sort of) socket programming (which you would already be familiar with) and a network system meant for games.  So really you can go with either.  If you have experience with network programming I doubt you will have any trouble with this.
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).

r0ber7

Quote from: Hatonastick on 2011-Nov-14
Yeah there's a few tutorials around on it -- some by Kitty himself on the forums.  GLB has two lots of network commands: raw (sort of) socket programming (which you would already be familiar with) and a network system meant for games.  So really you can go with either.  If you have experience with network programming I doubt you will have any trouble with this.

I checked out the NET commands... Coming from c socket programming, these seem like a dream to me. If they're really as easy as they appear to be, I haven't praised GLBasic enough yet!

I'll have to wait until christmas time though, cause I'm coding this game with no budget at all. So I'll ask for GLBasic for christmas. :)

In other news.
- Tweaked jump mechanics (revised old standard parabole calculation into a proper physics based calculation)
- Added health for the enemies (bigger fireballs now do more damage, not always do they die in one shot anymore)
- Started on a bigger viking ship to transport you between islands. Work in progress.