iOS, OpenGLES, Shaders and whatnot...

Previous topic - Next topic

bigsofty

Ok, I am at the point that my rendering engine needs a little pizzas, I have intended to use pixel GLSL ES 2.0 Shaders but I am not in position to try them (temporary problems with renewing my dev licence). Are they implented? Has anyone tried to use them?

Many thanks,

Ian
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

trucidare

iphone startup code must be updated for this. let us add at the todo list.
MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 8600M GT
Core i3 - 3,07 GHz, 8 GB Ram, 2.5 TB HDD, Geforce GTX 260+ OC

bigsofty

You mean the GLES 2.0 init code ("[[EAGLContext alloc] initWithAPI:kEAGLRenderingAPIOpenGLES2]") Trucidare?

Cheers,

Ian
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

trucidare

i mean the eagl init in case of which device is runing code and the function that compile shaders if you want some
MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 8600M GT
Core i3 - 3,07 GHz, 8 GB Ram, 2.5 TB HDD, Geforce GTX 260+ OC

Kitty Hello

So far I use EGL 1.1. The problem is, that the 2.0 (as far as I understand) works totally different.

bigsofty

The iOS platform could really do with an upadate Gernot, EGL 1.1 is getting pretty outdated, all though all iOS devices are back ward compatible with 1.1, the post 3Gs devices take a real performance and feature hit by not supporting the EGL 2.0.

Cheers,

Ian
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

XanthorXIII

Still pretty impressed it's been running great so far on the older version but if the newer version 2 can give it a good boost, I'd say go for it.
Owlcat has wise

bigsofty

GLES 1.1 has a fixed-function rendering pipeline, while GLES 2.0 has a programmable one. Going from one to the other is no small task, in this I am very sympathetic with the work that Gernot has to do. On the other hand, supporting 2.0, will allow extended feature support for all the new Android tablets, iPads, sPods, uber phones etc... and produce better looking, faster, GLBasic games.
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)