Sprite Lamp - dinamic light

Previous topic - Next topic

erico

Here is a project to bring dinamic light to 2d sprites.
Quite nice idea.
http://snakehillgames.com/spritelamp/

Kitty Hello

As I see you need 4 light maps per sprite insread of ohe heightmap? If so... why!? It'd be easier to generate them from a height map imo.

Kitty Hello

...but yeah, great concept!

Wampus

I wonder what performance would be like on mobile devices. Could conceivably do lighting similar to The Swapper? Will be curious to see how this develops.

mentalthink

Very very interesting...

erico

Yep, nice concept. Could be achieved in GLB.
But one wonder about the ´at least 2 extra images per frame' situation and how/where exactly to use this.

I think it could be done with alpha blendings and we are probably looking into expensive use.?
Maybe not for a low res game without close background.

mentalthink

I think in a first Step, use the Ligthmap image reduced twice timer or 4 , beause the lighting don't need the resolutión of the diffuse...

But know thinking in this cool trick, perhaps it's possible add another chanel like >Specular, and them really the flat image will be a very good fake 3D.

fuzzy70

I just wish I had the pixeling skills to draw just the diffuse map let alone 4 shaded one  :D

Cool looking result though I have to admit  :good:

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

mentalthink

For the images I can do a simple Image and getout the normal map... the blue and pink Image it's normal map in 3D, I think have to works fine...
And someone test the Code...

This night I try to make some figure in Cinema, we look whats' happend.  :good:

mentalthink

HI guys I never mind I have in my HD...
If anyone want make a test I leave attach 2 images , SCI-FI, normal and diffuse map (normal map it's only one image)
I bought some textures for the Black SUn, if you want use for you project or anything , no problem.

I think the trick can works if we put the neutral color in 4 images using this normal map, but modifing parts in top botoom left and rigth, then we mix with alpha... I suppose doing this have to works, playing with the 4 values of alphamode perhaos we get a cool FX...