Origin "Humble Bundle"

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzy70

A friend of mine just sent me this link https://www.humblebundle.com/ where you can buy a bundle of games cheap.

• The Bundle consists of
  • Dead Space™
  • Burnout™ Paradise: The Ultimate Box
  • Crysis® 2 Maximum Edition
  • Mirror's Edge™
  • Dead Space™ 3
  • Medal of Honor™
If you pay more than the average donation of $4.91 (currently) then you also get the following games

• C&C™: Red Alert™ 3 - Uprising
  • Battlefield 3™
  • Populous™
  • The Sims™ 3 + Starter Pack

It seems a legit offer with the money going to charity so I thought I would pass the info on, but hurry as there is only 2 days left from the date of this message.

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

mentalthink

Thanks Fuzzy, this Humble Bundle I think it's new, because they are using the Origin platform of EArts... Really in this collection they put very great titles, Crysis it's awesome (less than 3€ and me cost 60€  :D :D :D)

MrTAToad

Yes, multiple copies have been brought here.  Populous is one game that is really too old to be played nowadays though.

fuzzy70

Quote from: MrTAToad on 2013-Aug-26
Yes, multiple copies have been brought here.  Populous is one game that is really too old to be played nowadays though.

In which way?. You can get Populous from GoG.com & has the following sys requirements "Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8) and Mac OS X (10.6.8 or newer)" which to me says it has been updated. Granted the gfx etc are still the same but the Mac OS X requirements also suggest it has been updated as when the game came out OS X didn't exist & Macs where probably still on 68K processors let alone Intel or PPC ones  :D. I wouldn't be surprised of the original PC version was DOS based.

While it is an old game granted, it is still a great strategy game & spawned the GOD game genre in many ways.

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

erico

I think mr.T Meant that the game is a hard brick to play.

At least that is the way I see it. It used to be ok when launched but the interface and controls didn´t quite age ok.
Similar to powermonger on the amiga, great game, too alien interface control standards to play nowadays... kind of like playing dwarf fortress is easier. :good:

fuzzy70

Quote from: erico on 2013-Aug-26
I think mr.T Meant that the game is a hard brick to play.

That is true, fitting all that info on a 320x200 screen was probably a nightmare for the creators. Splitting it out to separate screens would have reduced the clutter but would have had the effect of interrupting the flow of the game play.

While hard it was pretty ground breaking in a lot of ways & a lot of lessons can be learnt from it I think.

Lee
- "These go to eleven."

Ian Price

I had the first two Populous games on Amiga and played them for many hours. I also had the first game on MegaDrive, which surprisingly played really well with just a three button pad. Sadly I lost/misplaced/threw away the manual for Pop 2 and thereafter couldn't play it, due to needing codes from the manual as an anti-piracy measure. :(
I came. I saw. I played.

MrTAToad

The graphics are awful.  I suppose they were okay back yonder, but they aren't nice now.  Never been interested in the game anyway.

fuzzy70

Quote from: MrTAToad on 2013-Aug-27
The graphics are awful.  I suppose they were okay back yonder, but they aren't nice now.  Never been interested in the game anyway.

Awful is a bit harsh, don't forget gfx back then where designed to be viewed on a tv which majority of people used. Granted they don't look as good on todays 22" HD lcd monitors (esp fullscreen) but same goes for 1000's of games from that era & older.

Lee

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

- "These go to eleven."

Ian Price

I think the graphics still look pretty good, but what does amaze me is the lack of real-estate for the actual game-screen. The actual game window is tiny, with most of the screen taken up by icons and the mini-map. I never saw it that way before.
I came. I saw. I played.

fuzzy70

Quote from: Ian Price on 2013-Aug-28
I think the graphics still look pretty good, but what does amaze me is the lack of real-estate for the actual game-screen. The actual game window is tiny, with most of the screen taken up by icons and the mini-map. I never saw it that way before.

I can relate to that. I had a similar feeling the other month when I played Stunt Car Racer for the 1st time in ages & thought "hmm don't recall the play area being that small"

Lee
- "These go to eleven."

erico

Stunt car racer is really awesome. I never had the feeling of small play area but I had it on day one on Populous and Powermonger.

Hey Fuzzy, don´t forget to try the Stunt Car Racers TNT.
It is a hacked version with new tracks and so on, a real masterpiece.

fuzzy70

Quote from: erico on 2013-Aug-28
Hey Fuzzy, don´t forget to try the Stunt Car Racers TNT.

Thanks Erico am on the case now tracking it down  :good:

Lee
- "These go to eleven."

erico

It should be easy to find, if you can´t, let me know.

Another thing is that if you run it on winuae you can use the jit trick to speed it up considerably.

And that is one thing that got me disappointed back on the days. When I got my a4000, I thought it would really speed it up, but it didn´t at all.
I later discovered that the 3d is somehow code timed, makes no difference which processor it is running. :(

fuzzy70

I found a 2-1 version that contains the original + the TNT one as a single executable from <url cut out> .

No emulator needed so must have embedded Winuae or Fellow. F12 brings up the options window  =D

Lee

Edit:
Please no links to funny stuff here /Moru
- "These go to eleven."