WebOS Resurrection?

Previous topic - Next topic

Crivens

It's back! Sort of...
http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/25/lg-acquires-webos-from-hp-smart-tv-future/

Now I can (maybe) stop crying over the purchase of that TP and Pre2 before HP hopelessly lost their bottle and then crashed and burned.  >:D Not sure though if my Snake game will play that well with tipping a 50" TV around the room though... Hmm, could have invented a whole new expensive extreme sport right there...

Cheers
Current fave quote: Cause you like musicians and I like people with boobs.

Ian Price

That's both great and a real shame. It's great that webOS lives on, but a shame that it's taken sooooo long that most of the webOS community will have moved onwards and downwards to iOS/Android and also that using it as a SmartTV, rather than in a mobile device is a terrible waste.

But, oh well, Igor -  it's alive!
I came. I saw. I played.

Crivens

Yeah if you look at the WebOS forums then it's practically dead. Last recent posts are spams for Furniture stores...

Can't see me going back into it for TV apps really. Esp when I have no desire whatsoever to buy such a TV, and *really* not just for WebOS development (like Pre2 and TP). Twice burnt and all that...

Just checked and I'm still getting a fair bit more daily downloads on WebOS than iOS, even though it's mainly free demos on WebOS rather than free full game on iOS (can't seem to make a WebOS paid game free unless you make a totally new release). But I doubt I'll ever go there again. Shame...

Cheers

Ian Price

I gave up going to the webOS boards months ago, but I still want to release a couple of my latest games for webOS (AquaVenture and Frootopia at some point). I even had a Pixie version of B'lox! ready 6+months ago, but never released it. I should get around to doing stuff for Apple too, but they are soooo much hassle. I haven't got an Android phone or tablet (never did Android my TP), so won't touch Android until I do. So I'm sticking with handheld development for the most part nowadays.
I came. I saw. I played.

hardyx

Good news for some webOS workers at HP, but bad news for webOS phone users and developers. This means webOS for phones/tables isn't dead, is killed. Nobody expected HP to close their mobile division days after the launch of the TouchPad.

P.D.: HP presents Slate 7, a new tablet with Android. <---- (Fools!! :blink:)

mentalthink

:nw: :nw: :nw: Finally the best OS find buyer... I think this it's a great notice... for me this phone and make things for it, it's much better than iPhone or Android... Just make some months I search some news about this...

Thanks Crivens..

Crivens

Well lets hope it works out well in the TVs and then LG decide to bring out a phone or tablet. I wouldn't hold my breath mind...

Cheers

MrTAToad

LG do Android stuff as well, so I don't see them bringing out a webOS one, which would be a shame as its a nice system...

Ian Price

I wonder exactly why LG are using webOS in their tvs? They do indeed use Android in their phones - switching OS for a tv seems like an odd decision to me (especially when so many new SmartTVs are also using Android).
I came. I saw. I played.

Marmor

So why LG bought Webos ?
Open Handset Alliance (Acer and  Aliyun )  :S ?
Android Licensing ?
:noggin:

Ein Schelm der ..........

erico

Maybe it is just to have an option, like for business negotiations with the current dominating OSs owners.

People talk so good about webos, I haven´t experienced it, but it would be nice to have it around again in mobiles and phone.
I can´t care about TV stuff, as for that, my desktop can manage in a better way.

MrTAToad

I (think) I sent LG an email about it - their website doesn't like IE 10 and I'm not sure whether the "preview message" actually send the message or not...

webOS is a very good operating system.  Whilst I didn't use it as long as Ian, the Spots game for it was rather popular and the easy access to the C interface was a joy yo use.

The preview at the London show also displayed how quick and easy it was to use.

I'm not sure I know LG's rational for buying.  Yes it is nicer and generally better than Android, but what is the point in having two systems that would effectively compete (internally and externally) against each other...

Yes, I would like to get an webOS tablet at some point - probably need to win the lottery first :)

MrTAToad

Its unknown at the moment...

Marmor

No Ocean sorry  :S i dint think so ...

MrTAToad

Had an email back from LG - even they don't know what they've got planned for webOS :)