Having fun with LEGO

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzy70

After spending the weekend round my partners I ended up playing with LEGO as she had got her daughter her 1st set (well technically was a load of sets given to her by her cousin who's kid stopped playing with it). Hours of fun ensued as well as many fond memories of my childhood playing with LEGO  =D.

When I got back home I searched the net for LEGO 3D models etc & came across this site http://www.ldraw.org/ which has also wasted quite a few hours playing with it. The download comes with various LEGO orientated tools like a CAD program, viewer etc as well as around 5k of different LEGO brick & parts. One thing you can do is export your model as a 3DS, POVRAY, HTML or Wavefront OBJ file to further spruce up your model or to produce a high quality render of it, something I have yet to do as have been busy trawling through the huge parts list remembering what I used to have  :D.

This example is a POV render from a site linked from the above page.

Be warned, you could end up losing hours playing with this if not careful  :blink:

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

Ian Price

I had a play with the Official Lego building software - despite the number of parts it's nowhere near as enjoyable as the real thing and far too fiddly for it's own good.

I have tons of Lego and was even considering using it for my Pandora Rebirth competition entry, which turned into Dino Defense. Initially it was going to be super deformed vehicles like tanks and helicopters etc. which I was going to make out of Lego, photograph and use in the game. Might still do that one day.

BTW love the render =D
I came. I saw. I played.

fuzzy70

I have to admit it is far more fun with the real thing but I gave away all my Lego years ago to a work colleague for his boy. Have you seen the price of it now, it was not cheap in the first place but seems to have gone through the roof even on eBay.

I think the software does a reasonable job from what I have seen so far. Have not looked at yet if you can make custom part lists as there are loads of parts which are specific to a certain theme which would be used rarely.

Lee

Sent from my GT-I5700 using Tapatalk 2
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

fuzzy70

Just converted some Star Wars models to 3DS & imported them to Cinema 4D. Excuse the render but was just thrown together with a quick lighting rig & no time spent tweaking.

Lee

- "These go to eleven."

Ian Price

Wonderful stuff.  :good:

Big fan of Lego. HUGE fan of Star Wars  :happy:
I came. I saw. I played.

Wampus

That looks like far too much fun so I can't possibly download it.

r0ber7

Quote from: Wampus on 2012-Apr-27
That looks like far too much fun so I can't possibly download it.

:) Same here.

fuzzy70

Like I said in the 1st post you can lose hours playing with it  :D.

Am toying with the idea of doing a small anim with the X-Wing fighters in Cinema 4D, the part in Star Wars IV where they are flying to the Death Star in formation & open up the wings. Have modified the object hierarchy and the part axes so the wings rotate/open at the right place. Just need to rip some frames from the Dvd for positioning of them & work out camera angles as well as light sources then ready to precede. Am away round the girlfriends for a few days so won't be till next week.

Lee
- "These go to eleven."

Ian Price

Red 5 standing by...
I came. I saw. I played.

fuzzy70

Quote from: Ian Price on 2012-Apr-28
Red 5 standing by...

Who knows, may steal the dialog as well  :whistle:

Lee
- "These go to eleven."