HTML5 really is needed?¿

Previous topic - Next topic

MrPlow

Also, if you are evaluating and adding comments for GLBasic the Android native development of GLBasic is super!
Like you I am not a fan of drag-droppy workflows (prefer re-usable coding).

Just out of curiousity I will see if I can html5 output my Pong game. :)

Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

GarBenjamin

I downloaded the JDK last night. Just installed it at beginning of my lunch break. Also I created a wrapper for the DEBUG lines and updated the code to all go through that DebugWrapper method and just commented out the DEBUG inside it.

Built to HTML5 and the build process was definitely better. No errors no mention of setting up the JDK.
However, testing in Firefox, Opera, Chrome and IE the demo failed to run in any of them. Also the debug console or whatever all of that stuff is with the giant icons is still displaying (the GO, ..! and ..?).

Then I built to HTML5-WebGL and tried it again. Got the exact same behavior.

It's a shame really because I was getting to like the language and think it could be a solid choice for 2D game development.

GarBenjamin

Quote from: MrPlow on 2015-Aug-10
Also, if you are evaluating and adding comments for GLBasic the Android native development of GLBasic is super!
Like you I am not a fan of drag-droppy workflows (prefer re-usable coding).

I am not into mobile development at all. Don't play games on my phone either. lol ;)

Quote from: MrPlow on 2015-Aug-10Just out of curiousity I will see if I can html5 output my Pong game. :)

That'd be cool to see.

Is the HTML5 stuff being worked on? It seems like it would not be terribly difficult to do now considering Monkey X, HaxeFlixel and others seem to support it for multiple browsers with no problems.

spacefractal

Monkey X is more designed for compiling with various langauges in mind and compile to those (C#, C++, Flash, Javascript etc), quite better than Glbasic. Im cant regreet that.

The problem with glbasic is Glbasic actuelly was not designed with html5/Javascript in mind at all, but Gernot found a nice compiler for it. Howover its far from problem free, clutter very much, hard to work with, can easy breaks, and only support some browsers. This is what im thinks about this platform (not against glbasic here, only this platform).

This is why this thread talking about the future of extractly this platform. Howover if we could fix those issues, then its could property could port to more platforms (Windows Phone 8 example). But im dont thinks this would been happens.

Howover Glbasic its a very great native platform language, where GlBasic is quite very very strong here (disepitee few bugs). Im last year planned to move to Unity, but can been a little bit lost, but glBasic is just good for small games (im did few big too).

PS. im thinks there was two other diretive, 123basic , and another one by MrTAToad (if im remember correctly?) have tried to port using SDL2, but im have either looked into those.

PS. Glbasic Source Code is quite very big. Im have that source code and have helped Gernot with various iOS and Android fixes.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

matchy

Quote from: GarBenjamin on 2015-Aug-10
Is the HTML5 stuff being worked on?

Oh yeah, the large GLBasic team should have the next version out later this week.  :O :D

erico

We are a perfect size team. :O :good:

Last time I tried html5 it compiled but the browser complained about something memory wise.
I recall Gernot said he would look into that for next update, and since it was a couple updates ago, I´m not now sure if that got fixed.

Also, my game uses only legacy commands.
I´m interested in mr.Plow´s test.

matchy

+1 for what erico said (posted really)  ;)

GarBenjamin

Ha ha! Okay. Sounds like for web games GLBasic is out of the picture.

When I make my update today on GLBasic I will be sure to mention that support for mobile game dev is said to be very good. I can verify firsthand that development for Windows desktop is very good.

Thanks a lot for the information. I appreciate it.

matchy

Cheesecake anyone?  :whistle:

Quote from: mentalthink on 2015-Aug-04
...about Html5 and seems don't will be the stantard for browsers...

Quote from: spacefractal on 2015-Aug-10
Except Unity require a plugin.... More more browsers have begin to remove this kind of supports.

Back to square one then. I think this is the reality and this is more of a general technical platform standard, rather than SDK support.  :zzz:

GarBenjamin

Not sure who is working on the HTML support. Just wanted to say one of the best web renderers I have come across is Pixi.js

http://www.pixijs.com/

Another that I came across in my travels is http://canvasengine.net/

Perhaps something like those could be used to provide web dev support for GLBasic and probably save a lot of time as well.
Just throwing it out there for the powers that be to consider. :)

Alright. I am off to check out the next game dev kit on my list.

I released my Tiled Map Loader and Tile Map Renderer GLBasic code over here:
http://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?topic=10414.0

Keep on coding!

Hemlos

Hi Garben

Thanks for your support in the community lately, we would love to see more of you.

About the HTML5 ...some highschool genious nerd had a brain fart one day and pooped this out, then he went off to school and we havent heard from him since.
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O