In the near future we can compile for more Greater Platforms?¿

Previous topic - Next topic

mentalthink

Hi this night looking a free spaninsh soft, I look can use for make games for Wii, PSP and another platforms... I think GLbasic it´s the best tool at least for me... but I question me... if in a near of more advance future, we can develop for platforms like Xbox Live of Wii... The mobile Market it´s ok, but well be very interesting can touch another kind of platforms for develop our ideas, and ampliate our posibilities...

Sometime this has been comment, but I listen in some Podcast about the license prices are a more cheaper then before, and how I told, have GLbasic, for this kind of platform, can be the perfect lenguaje for developers.... and well, make things whit games beetween platforms, can ampliate our possibilities of sells, and I think too, the movile publishers don´t are the same like in Xbox or Wii, ETC... it´s only an opinion...

Iván J.

mentalthink

Ocean, well I know all you say, I not put the post , like a preassure method...

Second point I now Perfectly this question it´s posted a numerous times, I know GLbasic only it´s makes by Gernnot, and the other things... stay sure 100%

How I told you not it´s my proposit make a preasure, I only comment, because I look this free soft, and only want help or advice into my possibilities, for GLBasic continue like a referent over another platforms... I give the thanks 1000 thousands times to Gernnot for make this Languaje, beacuase before I used GLbasic, I can´t make complete and complex programs whit another tools...

If you consider me a newbie for this irrespetual answer, well, I exposed the causes about this continued Post...
I think not it´s too much complex to understand...

Thanks.

MrTAToad

Mind you, once the HTML 5 thing gets going, it wont matter if extra platforms come along - as long as they can handle web browsing "properly", you'll be good to go.

Whilst it would be nice to develop for the Wii and PSP, unless you have a large company regularly producing software for either of these, you aren't allowed to develop for them...

Ian Price

Quoteunless you have a large company regularly producing software for either of these, you aren't allowed to develop for them...
That's not strictly true. You have to be an established gaming company for Wii, but not for WiiWare/DS/3DS - as long as you have a proven history and a potential demo you can approach Nintendo and apply/get a Dev license (at a cost).

As for Sony they've just opened up the Vita completely free of charge for potential developers with their own dev programme. You can sell your stuff via the Vita PSN store worldwide. I don't know about the quality control aspects or the cut that Sony takes (I should think it would be the same as other content providers (approx. 30%)). Unfortunately GLB can't hook into the Vita SDK :(
I came. I saw. I played.

MrTAToad

Plus the Vita uses C# for some weird reason...

spacefractal

Yes its use c#. Glbasic is c++. Howover c# look much easier than c++, so it's can been why and c# is more more popular. A source code converter tool could do that, but might not been possible here.

Just get v11 out first (hope all bugs got refixed) and in a future we might see wrappers for others languages.

I guess html5 is very soon :-)
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

erico

I guess, other then the prohibitive prices on developing to main stream as well as the shovel dev soft they push, things are bound to easy up.
I find it amazing that microsoft has a ´kind of´ indie support and that sony is also easying things on their side.
It looks like a tendency to me, maybe they are now seeing value on normal people´s will to develop something?
Just my opinion.

Ocean´s statemented reasons are quite clear, and we sure could be putting efforts on improving what we currently have.
I guess things will happen as time goes.

spacefractal

Is it possible to release source code for glbasic to c++ wrapper? This doesn't hurt sale of glbasic, but is enabling to checkout how it works and some other could try to port to example java and c#.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

metzzo

It would be useless.
The source code of a compiler is really complex and without any background knowledge nearly impossible to understand. If Gernot would have written an abstract enough compiler backend (I think he hasn't) it would not be that hard to write another backend for GLBasic.

But there is already something on the go: GLBScript. It has already an experimental (very experimental...)  C# target. Due to the very strict seperation of compiler backend and frontend it's really easy to add another languages to the compiler (The basic C# support was implemented in around 4 hours). And I am developing every free minute :)
Of course the C# target hass less priority than the HTML5 target, but maybe when I have time I could improve it and make it available for XNA (XBox 360 / Windows Phone 7) and/or PS Vita.
I don't know whether XBox 360 or PSVita have reasonable HTML5 support, but if they have, it's already possible to make games for these targets - GLBScript for HTML5 is already very advanced.
That's no Bug, that's my project!

http://programming-with-design.at/

spacefractal

yes glscripts could been that and property best to doing that, so glscripts could add more platform support, but property command limited support for some platforms example 2d/3d and various possible other commands), and have think its better using glscripts and not glbasic for those other languages platforms.

Then Gernot could concrate to bugfixes and add GUI and such thing and GlScripts could add more support (but of course more money :-D). GlScripts downside is Visual Studio might been required to use with C# and GlScripts, but I think its complety ok (just like xcode is required to compile iOS apps).

Ian Price

Quote(just like xcode is required to compile iOS apps).
XCode AND a Mac AND an Apple Developer license :(
I came. I saw. I played.

metzzo

Quote from: spacefractal on 2012-Jun-03
yes glscripts could been that and property best to doing that, so glscripts could add more platform support, but property command limited support for some platforms example 2d/3d and various possible other commands), and have think its better using glscripts and not glbasic for those other languages platforms.

Then Gernot could concrate to bugfixes and add GUI and such thing and GlScripts could add more support (but of course more money :-D). GlScripts downside is Visual Studio might been required to use with C# and GlScripts, but I think its complety ok (just like xcode is required to compile iOS apps).

This is no downside, it is the next logical step if you want to support XBox 360. GLBasic does the same with the Android SDK... Btw, the name is: GLBScript  ;) 
That's no Bug, that's my project!

http://programming-with-design.at/

spacefractal

Android uses ndk, which is a c++ compiler. Its only contain some lines of java. Platforms that use a ndk is much easier too support. Example win 8 and its metro support c++. A good platform to been supported in v12 or separate sale.

Other platforms with other languages is property better with glbscript addon =D.