Steam Direct

Previous topic - Next topic

erico

You guys probably know about it already.
https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/1328973169870947116

What are your thoughts? Is anyone going to try it out?

Most of my games are not long enough for the Steam "standard" (in my mind) but I have seen lot´s of crap way below my own stuff for some time.
So I´m thinking if I should give a try to see what happens.
If paper work is ok, there is a $100 dollar fee per game, recoupable if it sells over $1k.

r0ber7

Let's hope it results in better quality games.

bigsofty

I hope so too, it will need to work hard to avoid the mess that the Apple AppStore is now. So far Valve is doing quite a good job dumping out the dross to the lower reaches of the search IMHO.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

erico

But what about publishing on it? Is anyone considering?

bigsofty

I'm hoping to at some point,as such I'm very interested on how anyone gets on with the new system.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

spacefractal

Currectly im also doing helping one which got green lighted his game in the very last resort after green light got offline.

Me thinks, its not a bad idea and the price is nice so indie devs still can use it.

Erico, one of your game is Steam possible. Im also seen nicely pixel art games as well and its a good quality.

Im have two games allready.

Also im do thinks after you are a partner, its take some great time to get the store files etc finished, which can take quite some of time.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

erico

But if you are uploading the game without the steam extras it is a faster experience right?
Yeah, I will try looking into it in the near future.

spacefractal

Actually I'm does not use any glbasic steam extras as all for my games. Thier drm works nicely works nice with stock glbasic.that include save cloud system. Here both my games uses a lots of Dat file it's just pick up when they got changed (one file per level).
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

dreamerman

The problem with Greenlight were game bundles and all kind of  corrupted voting system - promotions like: gives as thumb up/green light, make a comment, and after grenlight you will receive copy of our game, all of that for Steam cards, that can be sold.. :D This way even complete crap, really short games were published to Steam. Interesting how it will look now...
Erico if you think that games are to short/small maybe do some bundle like 2/3 similar games as one product, I will do that with my mobile based logic games and hope to put that on Steam later this year.
Check my source code editor for GLBasic - link Update: 20.04.2020

mentalthink

I like to do something for this "platform" but I think this will be the same like mobile phones... if they don't put a filter or mininum of quality in 1 year or less , sell something will be impossible between hundreds of garbage... I hope they do something about this, but looking Apple and Android, I think only want the money of the developes.

erico

Working markets will eventually flood. I don´t expect Steam to do any curation.
Most likely third parties and news outlets will do it for them.

The bad is that there few journalists and outlets doing it these days, at least the way I like it. :)