GLBasic executable on VirtualBox

Previous topic - Next topic

kanonet

Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon with standard repositories, this is all that I need to install to get old GLBasic executables to run.
Lenovo Thinkpad T430u: Intel i5-3317U, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce 620M, Micron RealSSD C400 @Win7 x64

MrTAToad

That should be the one.  If you dont have libstdc++ and whatnot installed as well, go for the std-mixer-dev version (as that should install everything needed).

kanonet

libstdc++ etc. was not needed for me, guess its either shipped with Mint 17, or not needed anymore with GLBsic (statically linked). Libsdl-mixer1.2 was the only thing that I needed to install. And it has been this way for at least 2 years now IIRC.
Lenovo Thinkpad T430u: Intel i5-3317U, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce 620M, Micron RealSSD C400 @Win7 x64

MrTAToad

It should come with most systems now, although it is being replaced with newer versions.

Hemlos

Linux Mint 17 will run glbasic executables which were compiled in windows, using wine on Linux, works good better than in windows lmao.
What it doesnt do is run .linux distributions.
And GLBasic itself doesnt work so great in wine on linux.
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

mentalthink

Hemlos try Vmware (VmPlayer it's free) for GLbasic, I put a post, and goes very fine, better than Virtual Box.

I think GLbasic runs more faster with WINE and Linux, I think when compile runs more faster than windows , but for me the problems are the keys, seems are distributed in another way different of windows, but I practically the 98% of time compile for Windows then isn't problem works under Wine and Linux.

If you want for native app for Linux, use in example the version 7 of GLBasic, for me don't it's too much problem because I use practically the same commands actually than those times.

I do a test compiling for Linux from VmWare and I have the same error when I compiled under Virtual Box, Problems of SDL or OpenGL,   

Hemlos

Quote from: mentalthink on 2014-Aug-22
Hemlos try Vmware (VmPlayer it's free) for GLbasic, I put a post, and goes very fine, better than Virtual Box.
I use that for fedora and my school because they built an appliance and thats the way they use it.

I think GLbasic runs more faster with WINE and Linux, I think when compile runs more faster than windows , but for me the problems are the keys, seems are distributed in another way different of windows, but I practically the 98% of time compile for Windows then isn't problem works under Wine and Linux.
I will just compile win32 binaries in windows 7 anyway.

If you want for native app for Linux, use in example the version 7 of GLBasic, for me don't it's too much problem because I use practically the same commands actually than those times.
I think i mislead you, my experience was referencing the native linux os, Mint 17 Qiana, not a virtual version.
What do you mean version 7 ????

I do a test compiling for Linux from VmWare and I have the same error when I compiled under Virtual Box, Problems of SDL or OpenGL,
Same here, for native os.

Gernot is aware of this issue, and he has mentioned he needs to fix it.  <3

mentalthink

The 3th point I want say, Using GLbasic Version 7, under windows you can make Linux executables working...
You compile for Linux and this works in Linux, not like in this last versions, I think from 11 or 12 version Linux don't wants works...  :(

Yep, I read Gernnot it's working on the little problem... In fact I think for sell some game for Linux have to be more greater than for a mobile device, or sell a good Application, perhaps something for Arduino can be a good option or a Lightweight 3D Modeler like Silo or Void World (this disappears in less 2 moths and really was a really very good soft). :(

Kitty Hello

OK, fixed the startup problem for linux apps we had in V12.

Hemlos

Thanks gernot, it works.
My NOAAGOES now compiles the ditribute.linux and runs in linux.

MrTAToad

Hemlos

Doesnt seem to work on 32 bit machines, is this normal?

Hemlos

i moved this topic into bug reports...

MrTAToad

Do you have SDL_mixer installed ?  What comes up when the program is run through terminal ?

kanonet

Quote from: Hemlos on 2014-Aug-30
Doesnt seem to work on 32 bit machines, is this normal?
Runs quite fine for me. Tested Linux Mint 17 32bit in VMware.