APK slow to unpaking

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyo

I finally tried my game on Android. But I noticed that the apk (GLBasic-debug.apk) if it is over 30 MB when you first start is very slow to be unpacked. My game is over 100MB is much slower to be unpacked! Is this normal? Other games downloaded from Playstore (google Play) with size over 200 MB there is so much to be unpacked! I use the version 11.322.

I tried to put all the files in the Media folder, in a folder outside the game (the SD card in the download folder) is the game starts quickly to the first launch!

the solution are the OBB file, but I think GLBasic does not support them!

Can anyone help me?  :nw:

spacefractal

Yes all media need copy to me memory, which is not quiet good for bigger assets files, even only doing that once. In android extras you can eventuelly uses mine method.

Here is only copy asset file when use, but no dir is created automatic and you need call filecopy command each time. Loading is not much slower at all.

I'm thinks I'm should explain how that works in next version in androidextras. Is some sort undocumented, but works.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Kyo

Yes, but, what's your method?  =D

GLBasic is a great engine but lacks a set of options that make it suitable to make it work.

I say 2:
- Creation of OBB external files or system to achieve a PAK files (encrypted) only, and then download to your smartphone
- Use of Advertisement (great way to earn)

MrTAToad

In-program downloading should be no problem - after all, it would just require connection to a server...

You could do your own advertisng that way too..

The "lack of options to make it suitable/work" statement is rather abstract - GLBasic Android applications are suitable for devices - and they work.

Kyo

mmmmm .....
as I said GL-BASIC is a GREAT engine, really fast in 2D (I do not use 3D) multi-platform and so on.

I just think that to make it more commercial missing a number of tools and options!

The tools (tile editor, character setup, etc.) I've made in NET.

But I would like to release my free game and the absence of ADV is required, as well as the possibility of having a single external file .

I realize a downloader, but this means that if the APP uninstall the esternal file will remain in the ROM of the smartphone or SD  and it's a problem.

MrTAToad

App removal is handled by Android and not the APK - unfortunately most do leave some bits behind because the system doesn't track created or deleted files (nor keep them in one place).