Question for iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch users

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuron

Do any of you who own one of the above devices use it for reading ebooks?

Marmor

no.

i like real books ,after reading i can give my book anyone who have interest to read .
also if i get a text in in digital form such like manuals i use my printer to get a "book".
stupid but thats my way to read , all my catalogs like Pollin,Conrad and so on, i read here  :shit: . :whistle:
i dislike the laptopway and dunno if an ipad change my method

matchy

No because the iPad is not available yet.  :S

Kuron

Thank you for the feedback.  I've been dealing with a publisher over a new ebook and lets just say we have different opinions over the need to support Apple's devices  ;)

bigsofty

I don't have an iPad yet, its not available here but I may use it for that purpose.

I tried it on the iPhone, it was too small to be comfortable though.

Thinking of writing a reader app?
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Kuron

Quote from: bigsofty on 2010-May-03Thinking of writing a reader app?
No, I am readying an ebook for release, but the publisher and I are quibbling over the formats it will be available in.  I do not see the need to support Apple's proprietary formats.  AFAIK, there are apps available for reading the standard formats.

Hatonastick

Did you guys see that regulators in the US are looking into whether or not Apple is breaching the Anti-trust Laws by forcing people to use their development tools?

Saw the article on Reuters.  No idea if it's true.

Kuron

Quote from: Hatonastick on 2010-May-04
Did you guys see that regulators in the US are looking into whether or not Apple is breaching the Anti-trust Laws by forcing people to use their development tools?

Saw the article on Reuters.  No idea if it's true.
Actually, they are only looking into whether they should look into it.  Although Apple has had anti-trust issues in the past, this one won't go anywhere since Apple does not have a monopoly on the mobile market and there are plenty of alternative choices for consumers from Apple's many competitors.

Hatonastick

A correction on what I originally posted, it has more to do with Adobe getting its nickers in a knot about Flash being blocked from Apples mobile hardware and less to do with the license attached to the iPod/iPhone SDK (in fact it has nothing to do with that at all).  Also from what I read two of the agencies that could attempt to deal with this were talking amongst themselves to see who would look into it, not whether or not they will.  I suspect with a lot of pushing from Adobe.  However you are probably right in that it's unlikely to succeed if it even goes that far.

Successful cases with regards to the US Anti-Trust laws are far fewer than the failed attempts.

In any case I'm only posting what I've read, which may or may not be totally inaccurate for all I know as all information is only as good as the source.  Plus I should never post when I've just gotten up in a morning.  So it may all be completely wrong.  In any case thanks Kuron for correcting my original post as it doesn't do to post things that may be inaccurate.