A plead to the developers for native support on OGG files

Previous topic - Next topic

trucidare

this shows thats the codec is correctly installed and works ;)
MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 8600M GT
Core i3 - 3,07 GHz, 8 GB Ram, 2.5 TB HDD, Geforce GTX 260+ OC

NRasool

Hi trucidare

I understand what you are saying and yes the help file does mention this, Maybe it more of a wishlist item from me, but I would like the ability to not do this. Blitz3d binds with fmod, so you don't need to have any codec within that programming language and I just wanted the same for GLBasic. Maybe I will use BASS and try to bind it with inline C

Kind Regards

Kuron

Does this issue exist in Linux?

Does this issue happen on desktops?

On the problem systems are the motherboard drivers and sound card drivers updated to the latest versions?

Budget soundchips do not always have hardware buffers to properly support DirectSound.  Add to this that Vista and 7 did away with the hardware buffers support for DirectSound and the emulation used can be problematic on budget soundchips.

That said, my mini sound engine uses DX and it handles OGG only (no codecs need to be installed) and works fine on XP & 7 and even on my Eee.

I am guessing the problem is in GLBasic's implementation.  Sad in a way as OGG is your only choice since you can't use MP3s in games due to the licensing issues.

The only codecs I would recommend trying for this issue is: K-Lite Mega Codec. And install everything.  With the way GLB is doing things, you might also try making Windows Media Player the default player for OGG files.  Still... Not acceptable solutions for the EUs of your games.

MrTAToad

I've never tried it on Linux, but on Mac's OGG is the only music format it plays.

I cant get OGG's to play on my Windows 7 machine (and I do have the OGG codec installed).

Kuron

On Vista and 7 it is easy to chalk it up to the changes made to DirectSound, but if that was the sole cause, it should not be happening on XP.

trucidare

you can play all standard formats in mac os like aif and the other sound effect and music formats
MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 8600M GT
Core i3 - 3,07 GHz, 8 GB Ram, 2.5 TB HDD, Geforce GTX 260+ OC

NRasool

Hey Kurgan

QuoteI am guessing the problem is in GLBasic's implementation.  Sad in a way as OGG is your only choice since you can't use MP3s in games due to the licensing issues.
Exactly that is the reason I want to use ogg implementation, due to licencing. I have used klite codec, but I wouldn't have though end users would be happy for this. It may be just to use fmod and bass really, but kitty if you are reading, at one point, please could you research this area.

Many thanks

Kuron

QuoteIt may be just to use fmod and bass really,
If there is a need, I could port my OGG audio engine over for use with GLBasic.

NRasool

Hey Kurgan
QuoteIf there is a need, I could port my OGG audio engine over for use with GLBasic.

If you could, I would def appreciated it, as yet I'm still evaluating the product, but the only thing that stopped me was this, if you could do it, so it is similar to blitz3d, ie not having the user end install a codec, I would be very much appreciated it

Kind Regards

Ian Price

Yes please Kuron :)

It might be worth offering/licensing it to Gernot, so he can include it a part of GLBasic?
I came. I saw. I played.

MrTAToad

And of course make sure it works on Windows, Mac, Linux, iPhone etc :)

Kuron

Quoteit, so it is similar to blitz3d, ie not having the user end install a codec
It would be a very small DLL, and it would have the OGG decoding built into the DLL.

QuoteIt might be worth offering/licensing it to Gernot, so he can include it a part of GLBasic?
Good idea, but it won't happen.  The last time I did that (about five years ago), I got burned really bad and ended up taking all of my software offline.

QuoteAnd of course make sure it works on Windows, Mac, Linux, iPhone etc
Windows only ;)

NRasool

Hey Kuron

QuoteIt would be a very small DLL, and it would have the OGG decoding built into the DLL.
Yup that is cool, that is similar to BASS which is a small .dll which you will distribute alongside your application, if you could provide this, we would be grateful :-)

Kuron

I can promise you my DLL will be much smaller than BASS  ;)

MrTAToad