Caanoo support

Previous topic - Next topic

erico

This is great, caanoo seems to be a nice device.
at least one I can buy localy for around 150$.

I was wondering if it would be worth for me to purchase one,
or should I save to buy a mooooore expensive android on the hopes it could work out the same way?

For those who own it, how is it like?
Could you name the bads out of it?
I play a lot of arcades, rygar and fighting games, its control looks neat, is it precise?

it does look charming.

hardyx

Quote from: erico on 2011-Sep-20For those who own it, how is it like?
Could you name the bads out of it?
I play a lot of arcades, rygar and fighting games, its control looks neat, is it precise?
Caanoo is like a GP2X in shape and size, but slimer and battery powered. If you don't owned a GP2X, is like a PSP slim with a 4:3 screen. The analog stick is good for arcade like MAME, and as precise as a d-pad.
Pros: rechargeable battery, many free apps, wifi support, 128 Mb RAM.
Cons: not compatible with Wiz, has a frame that covers first 3 pixels rows.

Kitty Hello

it has a Wiz-support layer working like WINE on PC. So, it can perfectly play Wiz games.

gigios

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2011-Sep-21
it has a Wiz-support layer working like WINE on PC. So, it can perfectly play Wiz games.

This is true but in that case you can not use the G-Sensor and Vibration present only in Caanoo  :whistle:

hardyx

You are talking about GINGE I think.  :blink:

Kitty Hello

ok, update is available (as a new setup).

The acceleration for Caanoo is gives as GETJOYX(1) and such (2nd Joystick device).
Vibration is missing.

gigios

Wonderful  :booze:

Vibration is missing.

There is some hope that this feature is added in the future? (ok, I know that is not necessary for write good games ;))

MrTAToad

Is there a Caanoo emulator around anywhere ?

Kitty Hello

nope, sorry. You can get them quite cheap, though. Around 100,-EUR new or try eBay for 2nd hand.

hardyx

Works good in Caanoo, but I almost became crazy because I copied the contents of Caanoo distribute directory and not worked. I have to copy the resources in Media to distribute directory and works all ok. I hate the new distribute folder!!! :(

Kitty Hello

oops. Will copy Media on the next update. So sorry.

hardyx

I'ts only a small nuisance. You made a good work, thanks. :good:

BTW: I see in the executable header that you are using EABI v0 (wiz toolchain), not EABI v4 (caanoo toolchain), but works. This could not work in earlier Caanoo firmware versions.

Kitty Hello

I'm using the codesourcery toolchain for ARM. I put the settings (as DjWillis told me) to: -mcpu=arm926ej-s -mtune=arm926ej-s

I have firmware version 1.6.1, Linux 2.6.24 Rev 167
Serial 2011.07.13 gp2xV500 000000271

MrTAToad

What's the 3D like on a Caanoo ?

Kitty Hello

Software renderer. Should be quite usefull, though.