Congratulations Gernot & GLBasic

Previous topic - Next topic

pinete

Hi all,
just to say I've been using GLBasic for some months currently after buy it..

At first glance I wasn't 100% convinced, but at the moment, after working with it during last months and take it seriously, I've a project running on PC, Iphone, Ipad, Android... that's just great, no problems, minimum effort, a lot of tools....... Superb!, seeing how Gernot improve it with a lot of updates, with his implication within the community day per day, it is a MUST to me to say that GLBasic, right now is absolutely amazing, and to me, far from its apparently 'rivals' so, in short a BIG THANKS for this product, biggest congratulations to Gernot and the people who make this possible every day. I can guarantee my support as evangelizer to talk about GLBasic wonders. ;)

thanks ;)  :nw:

Moru

Indeed, it's exactly what I always wanted for making games. Sadly I don't have the time I used to have 20 years ago... :-)

Crivens

Yep. And yep.

When you view the posts of thanks that pop up now and again, it really shows how much of an effort Gernot puts in compared to (what you can tell) other languages and tools.

And yes he is a God amongst men. Or at least a cute cat shaped one...

Cheers
Current fave quote: Cause you like musicians and I like people with boobs.

matchy

Another certified reason to implement the 'buy a beer/soda' button!  :coke:

Kitty Hello

Oh the flatteries... ;)

Thanks a lot. That sort of comments push my motivation. Not that it has to be pushed at all, but thanks.

The main motor behind GLBasic is my own childish drive to code games/apps for geek devices, which yields in my price policy of free updates and such. I always thought about a cut and upgrade fees like AC3D does or even the Blitz products, but I think it would hurt the "flavor" of this community. And if this forum was full of people complaining and shouting, I would lose interest in enhancing GLBasic, I guess.

Crivens

Or go down the Darkbasic route where you could make chargeable plugins. For instance I wouldn't mind access to the camera (with or without augmented functionality such as being able to print graphics over the top of the updating photo image) and/or photo folder of my portable devices (iOS/WebOS/Android) for some app ideas I have.

Ok, so someone could create wrappers which you have to sort out yourself in GLB and in XCode etc, but would be nice, esp for the more common elements (eg. camera, music interface, photos, videos etc) if a plugin was made at the core level of GLB that would then just work on all supported devices as most things do now. Then it would give you more incentive to say create a camera plugin if it sold for say £10 a throw, and not everyone would have to buy it.

Cheers

DaCarSoft

Gernot: I think that this is the time to say you (again) "congratulations" (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I come from the ZX Spectrum, and I learnt basic with a Sinclair BASIC, you know...
For me, it is amazing to could code for my iOS devices with BASIC, and port my projects in an easy way to all other OS and devices...
I'm so sorry because I have not so much time lately for GLBASIC, wich is my actual hobby...   :)

I have not enought words to say "thanks", thanks for made this possible, with BASIC (!!!).

I had some troubles with certain things that I can't do just with GLBASIC under iOS, but the wrappers way was the solution for me (so anything is possible under GLB with a little of effort), when I have some free time I like to search how to make a wrapper for certain functions that I need for my projects...   I like to publish it and let others obtain the same things...  I published in this forums a couple of things or three, and I would like to continue publishing other wrappers in the future, as soon as I can obtain the time to code...

So (Crivens) I think that the best way is that all people that can make wrappers could think in the same way and publish in this forums his wrappers to obtain more power for GLB, with the collaboration of all people...
May be possible to compose generic wrappers containing the needed code for all devices, for example: A wrapper for camera, that contains all the code for Android, iOS and others...   with only some generic functions that runs the correct code under each device automatically. May be needed some files (one for XCode, others for GLBasic...) but I think that this is not so hard actually...

I think that the "plugin" wrappers are a good way, it is only a time and collaboration matter...

It is not easy to run all things under all kind of devices in the same and only way...   but we could try...   ;)

The idea that comes to my mind from your suggestions (Crivens) is to create an assistant, in any way, that lets people to import the files from these wrappers, perhaps looking at the file extensions contained in a wrapper, that may be organized in a simple folder and zipped after...

But first, we need the wrappers!!! XDDDDDD

Best regards.
"Si quieres resultados distintos... no hagas siempre lo mismo" - Albert Einstein.

Crivens

QuoteSo (Crivens) I think that the best way is that all people that can make wrappers could think in the same way and publish in this forums his wrappers to obtain more power for GLB, with the collaboration of all people...
I agree with you, and certainly use iOS wrappers all the time. But for more common areas (eg. camera) then it would be nice to have it inbuilt into GLB and not have to worry about multiple OS wrappers (along with the setting up involved in each). Plus give Gernot an alternative revenue stream.

Cheers

DaCarSoft

I have just updated my post of before...   :P

I forget to say a couple of phrases. :P
"Si quieres resultados distintos... no hagas siempre lo mismo" - Albert Einstein.

Gary

Have to agree that for the core stuff its nice to get the constant free upgrades. I joined in the v7 era (I think) and every major upgrade has added new platforms at no cost.

Speaking personally I have no objections to chargable plug ins/wrappers/extra source code if it helps Kitty spend more time on the overall core product. For instance, take the iCade discussion. If Kitty has to buy one to implement what will be a pretty niche market then why not charge say $5-10 to get his investment back for those that want to use it? If of course the iCade team wished to give Kitty a device so he can implement it so it helps increase their sales then keep it free. I would love support for all the buttons on an xperia play phone but know its unlikely while Kitty doesnt have the device, Sony would not be likely to give one away so if a plug in was created to allow access to all buttons I would gladly pay for it.

There are even some of the examples in the showroom that I look at and think how did they do that and would pay for the source just to look at it and learn :)

Keep up the great work

Kitty Hello

do you have the experia play?
Getting some icontrolpads might be a nice idea for a compo. I'll start begging them :P

Millerszone

It has been one year since I purchased GLBasic SDK Premium License.
I believe it was version 8.xxx. In that one year, Gernot has added webOS, Android,
some great new features and almost all bugs were fixed at no charge.
Thanks Gernot!

Here is a suggestion, when a user logs in into their account, maybe you can add this
message somewhere in the users account.

Since updates are free, those who want to support the further GLBasic development
can do it here. Thank you !
[PayPal Button]
Hardware: iMac 27", MacBook Air, PC 3.5Ghz Quad
Developing Tools: GLBasic SDK, Gideros Studio, PureBasic
Developing for: iOS, Android, Windows, OS X, webOS, HTML5

Gary

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2011-Sep-15
do you have the experia play?
Getting some icontrolpads might be a nice idea for a compo. I'll start begging them :P

Yes I do and willing to help out if you want to try some testing on things. I know the analogue pads may be difficult (infact I didnt even know they were pads for the first 2 months I had the phone :) ) but to have access to all the extra buttons would be handy

Kitty Hello

Are you a bit familiar with Java? Can you add some logging code to the keydown function and see what it retruns.

For the bugfixes: I should implement a donate system that can influence the order of my TODO stack :P

Slydog

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2011-Sep-15
I should implement a donate system that can influence the order of my TODO stack :P

+1   :good:
My current project (WIP) :: TwistedMaze <<  [Updated: 2015-11-25]