[Game Idea] Game like Super Mario Kart : Battlemode

Previous topic - Next topic

Slydog

Quote from: Wampus on 2013-Apr-13
The track map is comprised of 16,384 tiles (128 by 128 map size). Drawing all that brings the framerate down from the optimum on older PCs.

Are all textures on the same texture atlas / sprite sheet?  Instead of drawing 128x128 tiles, you could group them into 'chunks' (MineCraft style) of say 8x8 tiles.  That would then be only 16x16 chunks (of 8x8 tiles).  Each chunk would be 128 triangles (8x8x2), so should be handled quickly.

But looking very cool so far!  :good:
My current project (WIP) :: TwistedMaze <<  [Updated: 2015-11-25]

siatek

Why don't create a 3d model of the track and textured it with tiled textures ?
glbasic roxx !!!

erico

on the affline subject, if the quad has 2 extra points on each side, would that fix it?
Something similar to 9 quads together forming a big quad, but a single polygon.

3d tracks would come cool too.

One idea:
I once thought of a top down racer and went around trying to design a free-draw -> title map utility.
Like you would draw white over black and the computer would analyse the image and transform it into a tiled track. :good:
Never came around to code it though :(

siatek

Like this one ?? ;)

It's really speed modeling but tommorow i can add more details ...
Textures are taken from: http://www.textures-resource.com/wii_gamecube/MarioKartWii/moonview.png

So what you think guys ?
glbasic roxx !!!

erico

I think my chin just dropped :o

It looks awesome! What if the road blocks are 3d tillable?
Damn, such a nice example gives me the urges to try one too :|

I love it! :-*

siatek

Thanks Erico im glad you like it :)
All textures all tileable ...
I rip them of from the link above and put to separate files ...

glbasic roxx !!!

erico

I meant the objects, like road blocks (lego, so to make it easier to build tracks).
Like those old TCRs (Total Control Racing)... a pic appended.

Textures are nice. I like the way you UVmapped them along the roads! :good:

mentalthink

Very nice siatek the Circuit model... very good textures and colors!!!  :good: :-*

If anyone need my models for something comment me , and I leave here, I do this today, because I want do a car game or something like FZero of PS1..

You can see the track have a lot of subdivions, this it's because I want try to make the curves whit Heigth, looking the normals, can be more easy apply the physic forces when the car get the curves...

Basically it's for use doing a editor whit Glbasic... if it's needed comment me.

erico

I get the idea on the height collision.

I think I would not know how to do them on 3d.
On my mind, I would do the engine 2d top down, and then display it 3d.

I would try to calculate everything on 2d. Should work, for some ramps and jumps and rivers, but I´m not sure it would work if the world plane and roads itselves were to go up and down.

Nice models! Graphic wise I see there would not be any problem doing such a game! :good:

mentalthink

YES Erico thinking in 2D it's very easy, in 3D really it's only an idea, but i think can works...

Only you have to think in the normals of the polygons.. whit the Normal and a fix position you can calculate a triangle whit 90 degrees , after a bit of Maths you can do things...

Thanks for your comment about my GFX.

Wampus

Oooh, those 3D tracks look great. Also, drawing so many tiles in 3D is bound to be slower than drawing a nicely crafted track like in the posts by siatek and mentalthink. The polygon count would be so much lower.

Slydog, reducing the triangles drawn by splitting the map into trunks would be much quicker. I still want to animated tiles though, which would be a pain if I had to store so much in memory. For example, lava that has 6 frames of animation would require just 6 16x16 tiles if I stick to a 128x128 tile map. If I drew the map in chunks then I would still need to keep each chunk stored 6 times for the overall lava effect, which amounts to 6 2048x2048 textures.

I am probably going to be lame and stick to the 128x128 tiles thing, without 3D track drawing or stuff like that. I would make things look that much nicer, if I wasn't in such a rush.  :'(

Slydog

Could you just chunk the non-animated tiles?  And leave holes where the animated tiles are?
Then just draw the animated tiles individually.

It may save a few fps.
Just a thought.

Slydog

Or better yet, separately create one big model (or even sub-chunk it) of ALL the same animated tiles together.
(All the lava would be one model, water another, etc).
Then draw the entire lava model (at location 0,0 if that's where your world is), which would fill in the holes.

If each animated tile quad was uv mapped to an animation frame inside a texture map, then you could texture shift the entire lava model (by one frame) with a simple command, to get the animation.

erico

I see the way you think Slydog, and I kind of almost see the way Wampus think....

Heck. You both guys must be right? It is the kind of stuff I would have to give a go before opinioning further (can I use opinion as a verb?).
Damn I wish I could :(

I´m still willing to help out any action into this idea. :good:

Schranz0r

:good: I like how you guys think about the idea itself!

How about this:

Collision in a 2D-Array, Drawing in 3D.
If you drive up a ramp, the array(2D) switches to the floor you drive at.

Think its easy to do, and we can use the 2D-Array for a Minimap :)
Maybe Box2D for better collisionhandling?!
I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard