A line across the iPad 3's screen

Previous topic - Next topic

BasicMe

I'm seeing a strange line across the screen on games compiled for the iPad (see attachment).

So far it's only appeared on the iPad 3, not the iPad 1 or 2.  And it's not something that happens every time.  For instance, it happened to one of my beta testers when he ran "program X" for the first time, but when he brought his iPad to show me, it was no longer doing it.  Another beta tester has been seeing it repeatedly today every time he runs "program Y" (including after rebooting), even though he never saw the issue with "program X."

The one constant is that when the line does appear, it seems to always be in the exact same location.  If the program runs in portrait mode, the line is about 5/7 of the way down the screen toward the home button.  If the program runs in landscape mode, the line is about 5/7 of the way toward the right side of the screen, again toward the home button.

Has anyone else encountered this?

One other note: both programs in question were designed at a native 1024x768 resolution, one in portrait & one in landscape, and then scaled up for the iPad 3 by using a series of STRETCHSPRITEs.

[attachment deleted by admin]

BasicMe

Update: my second beta tester confirmed that he is now encountering the same issue on the first game as well, even though he never did before.  See attached screenshot.

Unfortunately, this game is already for sale in the iTunes store (apparently the Apple testers didn't encounter it either!).  The problem seems to only surface sporadically.  :(

Kitty Hello

Are you using a background image (LOADBMP or USEASBMP)? It's using tiles for > 1024x1024 textures. That might be the problem. Before SHOWSCREEN try SMOOTHSHADING FALSE.
Otherwise use a Sprite and draw the background yourself.

spacefractal

Look like anti aliasing issue. An alternative could use a off buffer to draw the 1024x768 unscaled and then draw he whole image to  backbuffer in the end. It's kill little Performent as I normally not fan on that, but on this game I not seen a issue doing that here.

Kitty can also right too.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

DaCarSoft

It could be also an iCade related problem.

Some people, (me also), were having this kind of issues randomly because of the old declarations for the iCade view.

If the iCade is the origin of this problem, it should be fixed when Gernot will implement my corrections.

:)

EDIT: It looks just like my old iCade problem:

"Si quieres resultados distintos... no hagas siempre lo mismo" - Albert Einstein.

BasicMe

Quote from: DaCarSoft on 2012-May-24
Yes, this does look like the same issue!

FWIW, I sent my beta tester several different test programs in an effort to track down the problem.  When nothing helped, I ultimately sent him this four-line program, resolution set to 1536x2048 (the iPad3's native resolution):

Code (glbasic) Select
temploop:
SHOWSCREEN
MOUSESTATE mx, my, b1, b2
IF b1=0 THEN GOTO temploop

Even over a black screen, the line was still there!  So I think I can officially say there's nothing more I can do on my end.   :giveup:

[EDIT: I added a screenshot]

Kitty Hello

Dacarsoft- can you resend me the source files you sent me before the hdd crash?

DaCarSoft

"Si quieres resultados distintos... no hagas siempre lo mismo" - Albert Einstein.

BasicMe

Quote from: DaCarSoft on 2012-May-24

A question: is it possible to revert back to a prior version of GLBasic?

I understand that this line problem may take awhile to track down, and in fact may not be the first priority on the fix list.  If it was caused by the iCade support that was introduced in 10.113, I'm thinking maybe I could compile from whichever build preceded that?

It doesn't look like losing any of the subsequent "Core" or "iOS" fixes would be deal-breakers for this specific game of mine.  And since it's already for sale in the iTunes store, this could let me fix it quickly before any buyers encounter the line issue & give me a negative review...

On my computer, I only have a backup zip file to 10.118.

Is it possible to get the version right before 10.113?

DaCarSoft

Hi...

I fixed that and some other problems and sent some files to Gernot for implementing it in next version of GLBasic...

I don't know when Gernot could include these fixes... (Gernot?)

To compile with early 10.xxx versions, before of iCade should work fine for you.
I was looking in my hard drive, but I only have 10.283 version (latest)  :(

May be that someone have it and could paste a link (FTP,Dropbox...) here???

spacefractal

my backup is from backup-10.244.zip, and sadly a empty folder with 10.057, which you could have used. Anyway ask Gernot for the beta v11.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

spacefractal

also using the beta from the normal place, its seen its have not fixed here, is that the newest beta or is its a newer one? I do guess its a bit older beta me think. So I just wait when Gernor have rebuilded again :-D.

I have iPad 1 and iCade to test on.

BasicMe

Hmm...if the problem is technically fixed & it's just waiting to be implemented in an upcoming build, I'll wait for that.  :)  Thanks!

mrplant

Whilst the iCade support is AN AWESOME FEATURE!!! , I too had a similar problem but more at the edges, that just cropped up once iCade support was added.

I'd rather put up with it than totally loose iCade support personally!

Anyway, glad to know this issue is being addressed.