Screen resolution ignored on iPad

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Schneider

When we set the family devices to iPhone/iPad (Universal), the App always shows the iPad full screen resolution, and completely ignores the project setting but the orientation (that works).

I don't know if it is an iPad limitation or what, but it shows and uses the whole screen for drawing and input always.

It would be good to test the iPhone 4 Retina too with project settings for 480x320 and 960x640, it would not be good if the iPhone 4 shows the low-res projects only in a quarter of the screen  :blink:
I have no iPhone 4 so if someone can check the iPhone retina  :good:

spacefractal

its not a bug (as I read).

its does extracrly that you do: iPhone/iPad (Universal) meant you want to support both iPhone and iPad full resolutions.

As I read you want to do is you only want to support 480x320, then hence you should set the resolution to that. If its still not do that, then use SETSCREEN.

Read the help document in the help file.

Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Dark Schneider

No, for only support 480x320 simply set in the XCode settings the family device to iPhone ionly.

What I say if that, if you set the family device to Universal, then the iPad always sets to 1024x768, no matter what you set on project settings. Surely the iPad runs it by its own, so you can't set a project on 960x640 and expect the iPad shows it centered.

So when compiling for iPad, it fully depends on you config on XCode family device settings, with only 2 possible results:

- Set to iPhone only: it always uses the small size, 480x320, even if we set the project at 960x640.
- iPad or Universal: it always uses the full screen size, 1024x768.

As I said I suspect that is an iPad behavior by its own, so take in mind this in your developments.

I am surprised Apple doesn't allow to use a Retina graphics setting to have a centered HD 960x640 screen display, because if you compile for iPhone it will always use the small size  :blink:
Another reason to mark iPad (Universal) is that if not your app will not show iPad compatibility on the App Store.
And, if you set Universal it will always use the full 1024x768 screen.
It seems Apple enjoys annoy to developers  :whip:

So take care.

Note:
Yes I have read the help file, I write this precisely for that reason, we read
QuoteYou set the project options to the maximum desired size you want to support. The program will run on the device and yield the real resolution with GETSCREENSIZE to the program.

But on iPad this is not in this way.

matchy

Do you have specific query Dark Schneider?  :blink:

The iPad in iPad mode runs at 768x1024 set at 768x1024 in GLB.
The iPad in iPhone mode runs at 320x480 set at 320x480 in GLB.
The iPhone in iPhone mode runs at 640x960 set at 768x1024 in GLB.
The iPhone in iPhone mode runs at 320x480 set at 320x480 in GLB.
The iPod Touch in iPhone mode runs at 320x480 set at 768x1024 in GLB.

Dark Schneider

Looking that it is a device behavior and seems that GLB can do nothing to prevent it, yes, an update in the help file  ;)

Because with the current help it seems that if you specify 640x960 it will run on that resolution on iPad, so an update about this would be good.

spacefractal

if you want retina graphics on a iPad, you might write it to a offscreen screen first, and then center it on the resolution used.

Howover a warning should give to the destiny physical of iPhone 4 is same size of iPhone 3, while iPad is much larger.....

Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

spicypixel

I've just designed for 960x640 and am a bit infuriated that it shows on the iPad at 1024x768 too. If this is the case why bother having a 960x640 setting in the GLB options?

If anyones answer is to support iPhone 4 Retina resolutions then what happens if you run it on iPad? Do you only get 480x320 with the option to scale x2 which seems pointless as it already has artwork designed for x2? Or.. Does it display the 960x640 in the top left but actually sets the resolution to 1024x768 meaning that you get nasty backbuffer issues because of not clearing the full 1024x768?

Any info here would be good please.
http://www.spicypixel.net | http://www.facebook.com/SpicyPixel.NET

Comps Owned - ZX.81, ZX.48K, ZX.128K+2, Vic20, C64, Atari-ST, A500.600.1200, PC, Apple Mini-Mac.

Kitty Hello

If your game supports retina and runs on iPad it will use the ipad screen size 1024x768.