Very Newbie question about INLINE

Previous topic - Next topic

belial

Ahhhhh! Interupts! My macro assembler years are not the most pleasent years of my life. One of my teachers had a saying: "coding assembler is to die slowly"

Ian Price

I deleted the post. The GLBasic forum can be viewed by anyone - young or old. Your post was unnecessarily crude and added nothing to the conversation.

We have had an awful lot of spam postings recently (moderation and filters do help but they still get through), and as a new registered user with few posts, I decided that removal was in the best interests of the community.
I came. I saw. I played.

coder14

Quote from: Ian Price on 2012-Mar-24
I deleted the post. The GLBasic forum can be viewed by anyone - young or old. Your post was unnecessarily crude and added nothing to the conversation.

We have had an awful lot of spam postings recently (moderation and filters do help but they still get through), and as a new registered user with few posts, I decided that removal was in the best interests of the community.

No problem! Sorry about the language... just wanted to lighten the mood. Assembly can really kill you, and these guys seem so heavy. Keep up the good work.

But to be fair mine is not really a new account.

TI-994A

Quote from: coder14 on 2012-Mar-24... just wanted to lighten the mood. Assembly can really kill you, and these guys seem so heavy.

You're right; Assembly can kill you, that's why we do it in BASIC. And don't worry, we're cool. It may look heavy, but it's just ribbing.
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too!

coder14

Quote from: TI-994A on 2012-Mar-24
Quote from: coder14 on 2012-Mar-24... just wanted to lighten the mood. Assembly can really kill you, and these guys seem so heavy.

You're right; Assembly can kill you, that's why we do it in BASIC. And don't worry, we're cool. It may look heavy, but it's just ribbing.

Yeah man, chill out. Go Basic!

Ian Price

QuoteYeah man, chill out. Go Basic!
Indeed. All the way. :)

Assembly isn't that difficult on 8/16bit machines and the bug-hunt is always a good game in itself. Of course nowadays we don't HAVE to use assembly to get a game running smoothly and/or fast. GLB does that all for us, pretty much. =D
I came. I saw. I played.

TI-994A

Quote from: Ian Price on 2012-Mar-24Assembly isn't that difficult on 8/16bit machines and the bug-hunt is always a good game in itself. Of course nowadays we don't HAVE to use assembly to get a game running smoothly and/or fast. GLB does that all for us, pretty much. =D

Amen to GLBasic!
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too!

Minion

Not strictly related, but with the mention of coding stuff on paper and in hex and whatnot I just this minute stumbled upon this and thought it might be worth sharing ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K7M2L2CoQk&feature=related

It starts getting interesting around the 1:15 mark.

The guy narrating sounds typical of any one of us lot on this forum ;)

hardyx

It's curious that you are talking about assembler in a "very newbie question" thread. :whistle:

belial

the newbies are not what they use to be =)

MrTAToad

Anyone remember NMI's (Non-maskable interrupts) ?

belial

Not me, most of my assembler was simple video buffer manipulations and mathematics.

bigsofty

I loved assembly language, the first program I wrote was a z80 routine to write a sprite to the screen, the second was to move it from one side to another. It didn't work, the sprite was always on the opposite side. After half an hour head scratching, I realised that it was actually moving the sprite across the screen so fast, it was doing it within a frame fly-back... the power of it knocked me off my seat.

Ah, NMI's, great for raster bar effects! :D
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Sixth Sense

:offtopic:
My first experience with assembly was with a Meccano set in 1957, although I did eventually become more proficient with Stickle Bricks It's never really helped with My GLbasic programming skills.  =D
Okay, It's been more than ten years now so I confess............I let the dogs out!

fuzzy70

Quote from: Sixth Sense on 2012-Mar-28
:offtopic:
My first experience with assembly was with a Meccano set in 1957, although I did eventually become more proficient with Stickle Bricks It's never really helped with My GLbasic programming skills.  =D

WOW Stickle Bricks, now that is a blast from the past I had forgotten about  :D

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)