Important for who want make 3D in the WIZ

Previous topic - Next topic

mentalthink

Hi, this post is about to make 3d on the wiz, some early post what I made some months ago, I sy what the textures don´t works well on the wiz, they crashes, today I finish my probes whit a good result.

I put the mode for who want make something in 3D and works well, if anybody has made before, I not read nothing about good 3d on the wiz.

The firmware is I think is the 1.1, I dont be sure  is the last for Wiz.

I attached a little project, about un model whit a simple texture.

The util for made the model is (this don´t care) is 3ds max, and units this is important, are in cm, in mm works too, but you have to put lower values on the camera position.

The texture format is png, I don´t try yet .png.

The trick for the texutres works well is make the compilation for Wiz, equal than iPhone.

This is the true step.!!!!!Project >>Optiens>>Señlect GpX-Wiz and be sure what fullscreen are checked but don´t be press

Making this, you can make something o the wiz pretty cool on the Wiz!!!.

Best Regards, and Gernoot excuseme for the early post, on I was comment what 3d on Wiz don´t works well on WIZ.

Iván J.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ian Price

It's interesting to note that the Wiz version looks better than the pc version (Wiz is solid; pc version has gaps), but is expectedly slower.

Next step is to put a simple model into a 3D world and see how the Wiz copes.

Keep it up :)
I came. I saw. I played.

mentalthink

HI Ian, yes how you say in the Wiz is more slower, but I found a trick.

If you export from you suit 3D, (in my case 3ds max), the object to .obj and after you make the .ddd on Glbasic, the geometry is about 30 or 40% more speed than if you export from you suite in .3ds,  don´t kwowthe reason but I think, .3ds are triangulate in all his faces, ok obj. too, but I think internally they are behaviors different.(i´m not programmer, and I don´t kwon how roks the formats internally)

Another probe what I made today, is put an unwrap texture on object, and works!!! , on the wiz, this is very usefull for the lighting, becasuse whit no-one light we can have a 3d world lighting by textures.

Today I make all the things ehat I wanted a some months ago. :)

I expect put a tutorial from 3ds max to Wiz, because I think the people of Wiz likes too much view in this machine things in 3D. (spanish Forum)

Best regards,
Iván J.

mentalthink

well I made some little probes, and whit 4000 poligons the wiz turn very slow, I think we have to wait to V8 , hope to Gernoot make something about the Wiz can go more speedest in 3D.

I think the Wiz, have a little days of life, I seems gph go to launch to the markest asecond versin, I think is called, Canno

Best Regards, and good weekend.

Iván J.

Ian Price

TBH I don't think the Cannoo will add much life-support for the Wiz. Too little. Too late. Too much competition. There's not a great deal of love for it (Cannoo) so far - the analogue stick has really put off some important devs. The Wiz has never had the love it deserves, but then in all honesty it didn't offer anything in significant terms over the GP2X. I love my Wiz, but it's seriously underspecced for a successor to the GP2X. Obviously time will tell, but I see the Cannoo failing at retail (outside of Korea) before its first birthday.
I came. I saw. I played.

doimus

IPhone pretty much killed homebrew handheld scene. Sad, really. So instead of fantastic engineering-piece-of-art emulators we get crappy games by the buckets.
Not to mention iPhone's shitty interface (or complete lack of) when it comes to old-school gaming. I tried Mega Man, Sonic and Final Fantasy on my iPod. All are crap, with awful controls.

Hatonastick

I've always liked the look of the GP2X and Wiz.  Honestly they look more my sort of portable gaming platform than my iPod has ever been and I wished I could justify buying one as I suspect it would be fun to develop for than something like the iPhone -- and a lot cheaper. :)  Personally I don't think the iPod is much of a gaming machine.  It's more a PDA/music player I think, as the touch screen interface plus the motion sensors only really suit certain types of games, and the ones that disappoint me the most as a player are the ones that follow traditional game ideas but expect you to use some lame touch-screen emulation of joystick and buttons.  The problem is that since there is no physical feedback as to where your fingers are and what you are doing, you can spend almost as much time looking at your fingers to make sure they are hitting the right area than looking at the game.

The only things that are going for the iPod/iPhone (and probably the iPad as well) as a gaming platform is the online store and the popularity of the device (with a large potential customer base), giving people who normally make home brew games a chance to possibly (if lucky) make some money doing what they normally do just for the love of it -- at least a greater chance of making money than developing for any other portable device.  I often wish Nintendo had gone that route with their handhelds. :)

Anyway it's not a total loss. :)  I have seen some interesting concepts on the device that I wish could be played on other systems.  For example Wolfenstein RPG.  It's basically a cross between Dungeon Master and Wolfenstein 3D.  I love it, but hate the controls -- even though in that case at least you don't need to worry about making well timed moves to dodge bullets etc. as it's pretty much turn-based (sort of, just like Dungeon Master was).  Would buy that if it came out on the Nintendo.
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).

Ian Price

The Wiz and GP2X are/were perfect homebrew machines - the only thing they really lack is a large user-base (and some more raw power). You can play the original Wolfenstein (and DOOM and Quake etc.) and all the add-ons on either machine pretty much perfectly too (as well as thousands of old DOS pc, Amiga, SNES, Megadrive, C64, Spectrum, Amstrad, BBC, Atari, PC Engine and MAME etc. etc. etc. classics). GP2X on eBay is going for a few quid/dollars nowadays. I'd never consider getting rid of mine.

And, what's more important, you can freely develop for it in GLB. What a bonus! :D :D :D
I came. I saw. I played.

Hatonastick

Sounds like something all the retro-remakers should have at the very least.  For me having a portable device I can develop games etc. for would be the ultimate -- especially for free.  I might look into how much a Wiz would be over here (I'm pretty certain there's someone over here importing them), although I must admit I wish they hadn't moved from a joystick to the awful looking button style controller.  And yeah if I was you I wouldn't ever sell it either. :)

Ian Price

Actually the D-Pad on the Wiz is a hundred times better than the joystick on the GP2X F100 and about 10 times better than the GP2X F200.

TBH I'm surprised so few retrogamers/remakers do actually own a GP2X or Wiz. They are both pretty much the perfect emulation station (after pc). They crap over the PSP, DS and iPhone/iPod/iPad in terms of what they offer retrogamers especially in terms of content, speed and control.

But all this really goes without saying.
I came. I saw. I played.

doimus

This new Wiz version/upgrade Caanoo actually looks decent. I just might get it when it's released.
I hope it gets proper tv-out (while there are still some crt tvs around).

Hatonastick

Ok well I'm seriously going to look into getting one then.  I know someone over here was advertising them at one point as I stumbled upon it by accident.  Time to go searching on Google I think.

Edit:  Found some.  Now I just have to wait till I've got enough money saved.  Shouldn't take too long. :)

MrTAToad

I wouldn't mind one - just cant afford it :(

Ian Price

I know what you both mean with regard to money and justifying another piece of tech, however...

The GP2X is definitely more affordable (there are quite a few on eBay at the moment going cheap), but it's biggest problem is the battery life. If you do go for a GP2X make sure you have a good supply of high Mah rechargeable batteries - I use 2500Mah and they play nicely,  or use a power supply.

The Wiz has an internal rechargeable battery, which last between 4 and 8 hours when charged. The screen on Wiz is gorgeous in all conditions, but can suffer from pixel plague if damaged, so be very, very careful.

The GP2X and Wiz are however old tech and have been superceded by other machines - Cannoo, Pandora etc. but are still worth a punt, especially if you can get them cheap. But then you have to decide exactly which one to get -

GP2X F100 - digital joystick
GP2X F200 - D-Pad + touchscreen (few Gp2X games use touchscreen)
Wiz - D-Pad + touchscreen + potentially defective (but gorgeous) screen.
I came. I saw. I played.

Hatonastick

Is there a successor to the Wiz?  If there's one coming out I might wait.  Depends.  The Pandora looks very nice, but honestly if I was going to spend that much I'd just get a netbook (even if it's not as powerful or nicely designed).

Edit:  LOL Sorry about that, the Caanoo is the successor to the Wiz.  I was looking right at the device on the same shop and it didn't click.  :S

Edit again: Yes, the more I read about the Caanoo, the more tempted I am to hold off buying one of these until that device is out and has been reviewed.  The fact it has network capability really appeals to me.