Point of concern

Previous topic - Next topic

Omadan

Just wondering if we will be able to continue working with GLBasic for iOS. I am saying this because with this new Swift thing I am not sure.

https://developer.apple.com/swift/

I am working on a big game and a third of the way there. I do not want to continue working with GLBasic if it won't support iOS in the future.

Kind regards
Top Arcade Apps - Best game for mobiles and computers

http://www.toparcadeapps.com

spacefractal

Glbasic have still it's strength it's support multiplatform. Thus does the new language not have... It's Xcode only. So glbasic would still support ios8.

Many here want to support android recently.

Also Swift is just a Apple only language in xcode, but other languages can of course still been used.

Glbasic did still works nicely with iOS7, and cant see that would changes with iOS8. You do of course need to upgrade xcode and eventuelly OSX.

PS. its would been fine if glbasic could support compiling to arm64 (its cause linker errors) and also remove arm6 support. arm6 have been gone for long time ago. But Apple do accepts armv7 and armv7s only apps.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

erico

That swift looks like a mac proprietary version of the likes of game maker.
I haven´t heard of it before, what would be the treat?

IIRC as long as apple accepts native code, GLB sings along. :whistle:

MrTAToad

There are a couple of other languages that should be of more concern - one is currently HTML5 only, but the most important/dangerous/interesting part is that is has a full GUI system, complete with moveable windows...

mentalthink

I watch the conference of Apple and the Swift it's a script languaje for more simplicity programming iPhones, don't care about the support of GLbasic, and perhaps can be better, when we know how call this script languaje from GLbasic, more people we can do excinting things in the ipHones...

Swift it's a script languaje developed for another guys, if you take a look in the web I think they are from Deutschland.(I'm not sure)

About Html if Gernnot and the developement Team of Glbasic can consider using the Html5 did Coolo and put into GLbasic, I think a good way will be all the users pay for the update,(this are things of the developement team), but I try the Coolo Html5 and really it's too much faster than did Gernnot, and I'm sure anyone of the development team can make the 3D part.

And about the UI, it's possible use QT?¿, sometimes when I show loading Cinema or 3ds max, I think they put QT in them codes, I'm  not sure if for comercial applications doeesn't free.

spacefractal

my bigggest concern is im property needs to learn Unity, not because im hate glbasic, nothing, but those im known here in Denmark is all using Unity and im might want to go that direction due that. This mean im should learn C#.

But im will not leave here at all, if that happens and still supports glbasic and Android Extras.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

kanonet

Quote from: spacefractal on 2014-Jun-04my bigggest concern is im property needs to learn Unity, not because im hate glbasic, nothing, but those im known here in Denmark is all using Unity and im might want to go that direction due that.
Do you only want to switch because 'everyone uses Unity' or are you missing some specific killer features in GLBasic? Maybe its possible to give you what you need in GLBasic?
Lenovo Thinkpad T430u: Intel i5-3317U, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce 620M, Micron RealSSD C400 @Win7 x64

spacefractal

its due a possible future project might require it. Personal im would still choice Glbasic/BlitzMax.

The main issue with glbasic is, c++ is not used very much anymore, and more more platforms require to uses C# today. Its would been great if glbasic v13 could port to C#, so more platforms could been used in the future. Even better, if its could uses Unity as a new platform (and then uses its platforms Unity could supports).

We can not avoid C# today, while unlike other basic language (like Monkey X and AppGameKit) supports them. Im thinks those two is Glbasic main competers.

Im do thinks Gernot could uses this for easier port glbasic to?
http://www.tangiblesoftwaresolutions.com/Product_Details/CPlusPlus_to_CSharp_Converter_Details.html

erico

4.500 dollars for a pro version (one computer) to ios and android + 600 dollars for updates, which should be about anual, and then a strange license if your company makes more then 100k per year...quite strange for me.

I agree the kids are getting a lot of unity nowadays in schools and the likes, but I gave a go on it a long ago and, while it was ok for 3d, it imported my content without issues, I figured to do anything more then the basics I would have to deal a script language or a code language. So I prefer doing the code from start.

Also, I need it to be basic, so it is a no go to me.
It would be easier for me to set up a GLBasic course to educate a team of coders then try the unity way.
That is my opinion though.

spacefractal

Unity 3d/2d have a free version as well (hence the 100000$ limit make seance), which is completely fine for us users. Checkout download section. It's just add a splash startup and can compile to various platforms.

I'm just thinking glbasic could compile to JavaScript, which Unity can uses. Etc simply uses Unity as its was a new platform and create a project for (just like html5). This can extends number of platforms and can do things Monkey X and AppGameKit could not do. This could uses and possible uses unity plugins (some sort same way as im/Five Sprites did for Android Extras).

Of course some commands might not works (video playback require PRO example), but that is due testing of course. With that in mind C# is property not needed, but using JavaScript instead (which im seen more fearable).

Slydog

Personally, I would choose C# over UnityScript (US) (aka JavaScript).  For one, C# is standard C# - if you have a language question, google it and you'll find tons of resources.  Have a US question, you could google the JavaScript equivalent, but they are really two different languages, *most* results would be compatible, but others wont.  US is too Unity specific.  More online code samples are in US, but I've noticed a trend and more C# code is being posted.  Most Asset Store code is C#.

C# can be edited in Visual Studio, even the free version (although debugging isn't then an option).  Much nicer, cleaner, bug freer, etc than MonoDevelop.

But mainly I choose C# because of the extra language features - mainly delegates.  These can't be done in US.  A delegate is a variable that holds a reference to a function.  So if you want an animation to notify you when it is complete, delegates make it much cleaner.  You pass a function (as a reference) to the animation function, and when the animations is done, it simply calls the delegate function, to trigger your code.  Another example, if you have a StateMachine class, you can pass it various functions for it to call based on the current state, and state of the state (state start, state update, state end).

But to each his own.  I started with US, but converted my game to C# within two weeks!  I had a document outlining the 'gotcha's of US, but it became too large to keep up with and use.

And Unity is 100% free, even iOS and Android.  Except when your company makes over $100k.  Then you need the pro licensing ($1.5k each).  Or if you need the pro features.  You wont need pro if you work around and accept the non-pro limitations.  (I've yet to need a pro feature I couldn't live without). Spend your money at the Asset Store, tons of assets ready to plug in and use.

I wish GLBasic would be turned into a languageless library (sure, in c++).  Then the GLBasic commands could be called from any language.  (I really have no experience in doing this, I'm only hypothesizing!).  I feel one man can't maintain a language of this magnitude and keep everybody feature happy, adapt to new platforms, and keep the language bug free.  And for little profit.  I applaud Gernot for keeping it alive this far!   :nw:
My current project (WIP) :: TwistedMaze <<  [Updated: 2015-11-25]

spacefractal

same here. Gernot have did a very good job to keep this alive, even glbasic property have been surparsed which can been concern today.

Its can been to much one man work when glbasic have its shorts in some area: Compiler Speed (IncrediBuild skips is quite very bad, which frustation me like hell) and locked to one language. Today we have moved from C++ to other language, which can been a issue today.

Im do not sure glbasic can been expand it more that it are and might require a new ground up, something Mark did with Monkey X from BlitzMax. IF that happens its property should been open source eventuelly.

Its would been nice if Glbasic begin to uses C# intead of C++ and eventuelly could uses MonoGame/Unity as its backbend. Howover the language glbasic uses is quite far from C#, due C# dosent uses globals and require inline eventhing with class (even its could just been in one big class here).

This can also been a reason Mark (from BlitzMax) choiced to create a new language, based on BlitzMax, but created Monkey X instead.

MrPlow

I think 2D-wise Unity is not there yet... I haven't tried it myself but from what I have read its a hack of the 3D GUI interface at least 2D is very good in GLB.

Also, is it me or do a lot of Unity apps look very samey - unless your super polished and know it backwards, the apps look and play similar?!

I also feel that HTML5 is not worth the effort when javascript is the native language and there are plenty of engines out there on the web.

Core of GLB (In my opinion) should be desktop and mobile (native)

Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

erico

Yep, unity games go like the ´it is a flash game, urgh´ of older times.
That is usually what pop brings to the tool. You see a lot of similar games with different store assets.

That in fact is not bad as long as it is giving some people access to making a game easier.
Similar to gamemaker too.

Of course lots of exceptions in both worlds, and you get to see really good stuff.