Raspberry Pi

Previous topic - Next topic

erico

Quote from: Minion on 2012-Jun-06
Finally got my interpreter running on the PI :)

go north
go computer room
turn on pi
run glbasic program on pi

congratulations! score 100/100

erico

Quote from: veketor on 2012-Jun-06
Hi all
I have compiled some GLBASIC code for Canoo to run over raspberrypi (debian), In summary, all went well (2d always ok, just some errors (no light, no texture) in 3D apps) I must admit that better than expected.
The biggest problem that I have found is that is not possible to read keystrokes (logical, Canoo has no keyboard) and it is not possible to launch full-screen applications.
About sound and music: I have not tried anything yet, becouse alsa-audio support dont work very well jet .
Joystick and mouse controls works OK.

Some considerations:
- If I launch a graphic application from terminal (on the desktop) launches a series of warnings (impossible to access-write to errorlog files mainly "wrt-request: fopen("/mnt/sd/ErrorLog.txt", "ab") failed") and gp2xmenu: no process found, but the app works as expected.
- If I launch a graphic app. in raw terminal (without X) the app dont work and end with this error
"wrt-request: fopen("/mnt/sd/ErrorLog.txt", "ab") failed
(!) [  999:    0.000] --> Caught signal 11 (at 0xc, invalid address) <-- Aborted"
But is possible to lauch "console program" in raw terminal (with a lot of warnings).

Just some general ideas:
Did you try messing the project properties to push the resolution?
The errorlog.txt gets written on caanoo automatically. something related to permissions or paths maybe?

About the keyboard, I was wondering if glbasic would read an usb connected keyboard/extra joy on the caanoo itself, but I didn´t try.

Great it is shaping up ok :)

veketor

Hi erico:
Actually is feasible to change resolution, but not to lauch at full screen without window border.
About errorlog. txt as you say,  may be a permissions error, I'll try to lauch again.
Is a pity  that we can not access the keyboard.
I´ll try to get a video and post in the forum.
GLBasic and raspberrypi look promising  =D

Minion

For the mnt/sd issue, all i did was create the relevant directory and it works fine.

The keyboard does register with inkey$ but not key(), i guess thats because its a caanoo build and there was no keyboard for it.

You can change the platform.ini file and change the resolution it runs at there (ive set mine to 640x512) but cant get fullscreen yet.

But dont forget, this is compiling for the caanoo and not the PI. Ive just been fiddling with it to see if it works and give gernot feedback an problems and whatnot. We may as well wait until gernot gets around adding the proper PI compile option

MrTAToad

There shouldn't be too much work to do really :)

veketor

Example video of raspberry pi, sorry for the quality  :S

erico

earthquaaaake! :P

It looks great, games seem to boot quite fast too.

The 3d seems like what I got on the caanoo one time, but I can´t remember,
like it is all painted white. Would have to check this.

Thanks for posting the video.

Kitty Hello

The Caanoo port was never thought to be the Pi port. I just wanted to know if the compiler might work.

veketor

Without doubt the compiler works very well.
Could be possible, with the future compiler for PI, that the generated code works without X (I refer directly from the CLI) ?

Thanks for this incredible lenguaje  :nw:

mentalthink

I continue whit my idea(I don´t know nothing about Drupal or another content manager), I think make a portal whit games for this device, can makes money... (too much R-Pi solds, and too much people whit curiosity for new thing for her devices)

erico

It is a good idea, but hard work.

Specially on the politics side of things.
To push a store internationally is a hard feat.

mentalthink

Yes Erico, but I think bit a bit... Apple only was do it for "two" guys  =D , and the easy mode of paypal, I think it´s possible, will be a very hard work, but now I don´t have too much to do... unhmm yes BLACK SUN , BLACK SUN....  and more BLACK SUN  :sick: :good: :good: :good:

fivesprites

Quote from: veketor on 2012-Jun-06
Could be possible, with the future compiler for PI, that the generated code works without X (I refer directly from the CLI) ?

I've been playing around with the Pi for a little while now and have also tried some Caanoo test programs on it - all very promising.

With regards to running outside of X Windows, Gernot would need to implement his own routine that created a display surface.  I've done the same and it works well.  Here's a decent example:

http://benosteen.wordpress.com/2012/04/27/using-opengl-es-2-0-on-the-raspberry-pi-without-x-windows/

Running outside of X, in some circumstances, would be preferable due to the limited memory on the Pi (256MB).

The default memory split on the Pi is 224MB for CPU and 32MB for GPU.  You can adjust this weighting, but it's not something general users will know how to do.  Clearly, the case for running without an X server is compelling due to the memory footprint it will have.

erico

Since things are so close to the caanoo, don´t forget to compile and release your stuff for it too! :P :good:

MrTAToad

Got the delivery notice a short while ago saying my second one has been despatched today - hopefully it'll arrive either tomorrow or Monday.