NETWEBEND problem

Previous topic - Next topic

Crivens

Oh and is there (can there be?) a command that gets me the memory/video memory left?

Cheers
Current fave quote: Cause you like musicians and I like people with boobs.

Kitty Hello

I don't think I can calculate the memory in use. Not x-platform anyway.
But the netwebend might be possible for apps that really end.

Crivens

Ah yeah, good point, only do it if really are ending the app (is that ALLOWESCAPE? Can't remember right now...). So if it stays in memory then don't do it. Assuming that's the problem of course!

Cheers

Crivens

I tried my small program loading in a load of sprites (more than I use in my game) and then doing the NETWEBGET and it works perfectly.

I assume then if it's a memory problem then it's to do with the program itself taking up a load of memory when it quits and doesn't have enough to run the browser. This would explain how come putting the NETWEBGET right at the start of my main program doesn't work (quits but doesn't do browser even though trace says it exited with a URL command). ie. the program all loads into memory then it performs the NETWEBGET command. It then quits but because the program is in memory it doesn't have enough to run the URL command.

Can you then see about making sure the memory is flushed of the program when it quits a WebOS app with a NETWEBGET? Hopefully that will do it!

Cheers

Kitty Hello

Crivens

Ta! Hopefully that will fix it. It is about (mustn't forget little list of things to implement before release) the only thing that is holding up a WebOS release really.

Cheers

Crivens

Out of interest can SHELLEND be used instead to call the catalog directly (even better as won't use browser)? I tried making it do anything but all I get is "failed to call" messages. Still, would be nice if this could be used and then pointed at the correct location for the app catalog.

Cheers

Kitty Hello

No. the shop must be called with netwebend. It's a website. You can't launch real apps on mobile devices with this. On WebOS you "might" be able to run some command line utils like sed/awk.

Crivens

That's a shame. I haven't used many apps on WebOS but do they also have a browser hanging about then? ie. there is no possible way to launch the catalog without using the browser?

Any further with the fix for webos memory clearout?

Cheers

Crivens

Hey Gernot, get any further with the memory clear out? I've submitted the app for TP as it works on there but have left it for pre until this is resolved.

Cheers

Kitty Hello

not yet. Just clean you graphics memory used manually:

Code (glbasic) Select

FOR i= 0 TO 32767
   GRABSPRITE i, 0,0,0,0
NEXT

Crivens

Ah ok. I assumed it was program memory or something because I created a test program with about 10 lines of code and loading in loads of sprites (hundreds more than I used in my game) and it still worked on the Pre2. Either that or it freaks out if inside a different source file than the main on a Pre2 (TP works fine). I'll give this a go though just incase.

Cheers

Crivens

Quotenot yet. Just clean you graphics memory used manually
Makes no difference. It always works on the TP (even without your memory clean) but not on the Pre2 (just quits once I make sure allowescape true but either way does nothing at all let alone launch a browser). Notice that my new demo project which just included my full shop code works fine on the Pre2, just not in my bigger actual game project. Perhaps it needs to clear the whole program out of memory?

Cheers

Crivens

Well it didn't mention it in the latest upgrade (10.283) but it seems it now works again on the Pre2! :)

Just for other users it works exactly like the TP and doesn't require the sprite routine that Gernot posted to clear sprites out of memory, and the AUTOESCAPE doesn't have to be true.

Cheers