Embedded YouTube videos

Previous topic - Next topic

Crivens

Does anyone know how to go about embedding an online YouTube video into an app? Importantly this would have to work on different devices such as iOS/Android/WebOS. So you select an option in your app and it shows the video which you can abandon and it goes back to your app.

Essentially I would really like to avoid including a video as part of the app, keeping app size to the minimum, and leaving the storage to YouTube.

I've tried using NETWEBEND as an alternative to embedded video. Fair enough it will do even though the app will be exitted, but that would be ok I guess. On iOS it works fine, launching the YouTube app and playing the video (using the embedded link causes it to open in Safari which is not so nice), but on WebOS it freezes the whole phone for about 30 seconds (nothing works not even turning the phone off, and I thought I would have to eject the battery) but then launches the YouTube app (like iOS) and all is fine. Although weirdly the app is still running in a card by it's side. I thought NETWEBEND kills the app off? Not sure what Android does, I may give it a go later this weekend.

Cheers
Current fave quote: Cause you like musicians and I like people with boobs.

Crivens

Actually I think WebOS has a frozen browser as the 2nd app (not the GLB app), plus it only works after everything is frozen and then eventually the phone turns the screen off. Turning it back on again shows the YouTube screen (and the frozen browser is next to it).

Cheers

matchy

You will need a simple wrapper! In iOS, I have played (streamed) video and list Youtube rss feeds in xcode. Based on the feed, for example; queried on a tag keyword and new uploads (hidden or public), content can be updated without the need to update the app.

Crivens

Ah, ok, thought it might be as simple as using NETWEBEND with a setting to return to the app or something. Will look into it more in the future (it doesn't really matter unless I get a contract for some work).

Cheers