GrafX2 - the ultimate pixel editor

Previous topic - Next topic

doimus

I know people around here like to hear about latest developments on the cutting edge of pixelart technology  =D, so here's some good news..

I've been using GrafX2 on and off in the past, but then I got ProMotion license and kind of forgot about grafx as it lacked quite a few features that ProMotion had. ProMotion is/was the cutting edge pixelart editor, but commercial and windows only.

Few days ago I decided to catch up on old grafx2 and... lo and behold, was I in for a pleasant surprise! :good:
That little piece of software has all grown up, received support for layers, animation, lua scripting, palette editing, tilemap editing, lots of grat, GREAT stuff!

I guess from these few hours trying it out, it probably has about 95% features of ProMotion with some improvements as well! Namely the interface, oh how much I love that DeluxePaint Amiga/DOS style interface! We really lost some of that sleeky-ness when we started using windows-based apps.

If you have even remote interest in pixel art, or just love retro inspired software, I urge you to try it out!
Did I mention it's open source and runs on any imaginable platform?
Go! NAOW! http://code.google.com/p/grafx2/

bigsofty

Thanks for the update, I'll go and try out the new version now!  :good:
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

mentalthink

Sorry for broken a bit the post.--- But when Domius comment this software I remenber Deluxe Paint... really works in Windows 7  :-* :-*

Well I find this page, it's in Spainsh, but you can donwload whitout too much problems... here have a bunch of free editors, for Pixel Art,  like PS but really I don't know this great number of free softs...

http://www.emezeta.com/articulos/32-editores-graficos-gratuitos#axzz2MU0wwfTX

Only for test Deluxe Paint in Windows the page it's nice...

erico

I love it, I still use one bit old version on caanoo every now and then.
I wonder if they have an android port.

doimus

The best thing about GrafX is definitely the interface... once you get used to it, it just flows naturally. And it basically IS Deluxe Paint...  with 21st century features.

BTW, the way they implemented help and keyboard shortcut editing is simply awesome.
For context specific help, just press F1 over a command, and then just click on a highlighted keyboard shortcut inside to change it. Amazing feature! Haven't seen a piece of software that allows for easier shortcut editing.

@Erico - there is an android port but it's not exactly production ready. It doesn't even run on my phone.

erico

Quote from: doimus on 2013-Mar-05
The best thing about GrafX is definitely the interface... once you get used to it, it just flows naturally. And it basically IS Deluxe Paint...  with 21st century features.

Good thing I got used to it some XX years ago ;)
I also enjoyed Brilliance interface too.

Quote from: doimus on 2013-Mar-05
BTW, the way they implemented help and keyboard shortcut editing is simply awesome.
For context specific help, just press F1 over a command, and then just click on a highlighted keyboard shortcut inside to change it. Amazing feature! Haven't seen a piece of software that allows for easier shortcut editing.

@Erico - there is an android port but it's not exactly production ready. It doesn't even run on my phone.

Good, I didn´t know about the F1 neither the android port, will check out! thanks.
But I still have to go get the new phone later this week.

r0ber7

Yep, have been using Grafx2 for a while now. I used to love Deluxe Paint on the Amiga and it feels very similar in UI. Best pixel art program since DPaint. :-)

Marmor