GLBasic, 2008/2009 plans

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuron

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2008-Aug-12
Noone cares here. It's just another way of writing code, it has nothing to do with features of OpenGL. Just the API didn't change. I'm glad.
What is ironic, is the official OpenGL forums say something completely different than what is summarized on the above link.  It reminds me of all of the outcry before Vista was released because OpenGL supposedly would not work on Vista. ;/  If the OpenGL community doesn't have something to gripe about, they are not happy :S

AndyH

That looks good Gernot - the kind of thing I'm used to in C#.

Moru - looks like an interesting function - thanks for posting that.

Hemlos

Gernot, can you add "delete" to the mouse for editing in the compiler?
Would be nice to del with mouse and still retain old clipboard in "cut/copy".
And theres a line in right click menu that says "insert file into project"
it doesnt work.

Please can you make some new helpfile for inline?
Maybe you can standarize it to msdn? Or is it already?
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

Kitty Hello

inline is described, and the code is standard iso C++.
"Insert file to project" works, when you're editing a gbas file, which is not in the project. You can add this file to the files tab then and it will be compiled.
Deleting text with the mouse? Why not hitting "del" key?

Hemlos

I edit with the mouse...cut paste, find, replace,select all, toggle block comment and all the tools
...delete would just make it a lil easier.

Kuron

Gernot:  He means putting Delete as an option on the popup menu in the editor (when you right-click with your mouse).

The easy solution is to cut what you want to delete and just not paste it anywhere.

Moru

But he wants to be able to delete without having to destroy the paste buffer. I preffer using keyboard as much as possible though, since mouses have a tendency of destroying wrists if used too much. Get used to using keyboard for cut and paste, it's for your own good :-)

delete: delete or backspace
select text: hold shift and use arrow keys
select all: ctrl+a

cut: ctrl+x
copy: ctrl+c
paste: ctrl+v

You can put four fingers from the left hand on those buttons and have easy access to them all at once without having to ever touch the mouse. These shortcuts work in all windows programs and most linux and other OS. If those don't work you can use ctrl/shift+insert and delete to get similar effects.
I would however like some fast access to the jump-list on the right side of the editor without having to touch the mouse... any ideas?

Kuron

Quote from: Moru on 2008-Aug-13
But he wants to be able to delete without having to destroy the paste buffer.

I know, was just suggesting an alternative since the feature (which is fairly standard) isn't in the IDE.

I prefer the mouse as much as possible, much easier on my bad wrists :nana:

Hemlos

Gernot, Can you..update font tool?

Instead of a slider bar...make an actual font size number?
This would greatly improve the ability to standarize some things.
And it would help to organize our fonts better.
I recommend making it similar to the windows paint program with a dropdown list of sizes,

Sizes ..8-48
same as you have for the font type lists.

note screenshot below

[attachment deleted by admin]

Moru

Yes, I have been missing something like that but now you can at least save the settings in the tool.

Hemlos

Thanks gernot for delete mouse, how about undo?
Any ideas about font tool font size list instead of slider?

Moru, how do you save settings in font tool?

Moru

bigsofty

It would be nice to drop the inline command for interfacing with a library file altogether for somthing like this...

Code (glbasic) Select
declare function config_read cdecl alias "config_read" (byval config as config_t ptr, byval stream as FILE ptr) as integer

This is freebasic, Im not a great fan of FreeBasic but this is an area that they got right, the vast amount of DLL that work easily with that language is a testiment to that.

Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Kitty Hello

The problem is the data types here.
But we have a Blitz wrapper for one, and DECLARE on the other had, which is exactly what you want. Just... a bit more awkward, I agree. I don't want to change it, though. I think it would make things much more complicated just for this one issue.

bigsofty

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2008-Aug-19
The problem is the data types here.
But we have a Blitz wrapper for one, and DECLARE on the other had, which is exactly what you want. Just... a bit more awkward, I agree. I don't want to change it, though. I think it would make things much more complicated just for this one issue.

Yes, I see, a big bunch of C compatible data types and structures would be needed. I will need to brush up a little on my C I think :P gah! hehe
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)