Norton .exe complain [SOLVED]

Previous topic - Next topic

erico

Hello chaps, not sure it is a bug or an anti virus fake stuff or maybe my stuff is somehow infected.
A costumer sent me this image where Norton points my .exe tried mess with input.inf

Is that a no worries thing? Did you guys ever saw this?

Schranz0r

We had problems with the GLB-Editor in the past. False positive on Kaspersky.
On a compiled EXE is new...
I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

erico

Burgerlord from itchio wakes norton but not the other games. I used a hack tool to change my games icons but it should not be that as the very same game went to steam without problems. It sure is a bad thing getting people reporting that when they are not computer nerds.

bigsofty

Norton is pretty notorious for false reporting, it may not be your fault Erico. Maybe recommend a decent anti-virus e.g. ESET Nod32.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

erico

Yep it is what I told the user. Looking around the forum it seems norton does a lot of falses towards GLBasic,  so it is just a normal thing.
Maybe this post should be somewhere else as it is not GLB bug related?
Anyways, thanks for the info chaps!

Qedo

why don't you try ?
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/

ad maiora

bigsofty

Nice advice Qedo, I'd forgotten about Virustotal, its a great quick fix for anyone with false positive nervousness.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

erico

Yep, thanks for the hint chaps! I didn´t know of that one.
It seems one of my executables point to an adware BKAV PRO is able to detect.

It could be because I use "Resource Hack" to change icons on my GLB games, I usually notice that after the process, the exe file also gets quite shorter.
Throwing my version on that site also points adware inside the tool.

I have checked my other games, which also had icon changed by resource hack, a no other one seems to behave like that.

Very strange. Still, I will want to change that file at itchio just in case.
Maybe it is time to look on how to change the icon while compiling instead of using a hack tool. :) 

erico

I'm running win 7, Microsoft essentials keep saying GCD inside GLBasic has viruses so I updated for the latest steam version and it seems to be ok now.
Still, after recompiling Burger Lord with the proper icon set up, no hack tool, I sent it to that site and got this:
MaxSecure - Trojan.Malware.300983.susgen - Acronis

Now that is different to the first warning on the older file, still, it sucks to have it happening.
Maybe my system is compromised? I truly doubt it but if that only happens on my side, then that might be it.

Loaded another project, Microsoft essentials has this to say about GLBasic: (see attachment)
Than I allowed GDC through and compiled, worked all fine, sent it to Virus Total and nothing was detected.
Loaded Burgerlord´s project, compiled, sent to Virus total and I get the same MaxSecure trojan warning.

Reading about it on the internets is quite a confusion, but the false positive theories are there.
What the heck could be going on? I will have to look it a bit further.

erico

I think the problem might be on my end, saved the project on another location and went on adding the media and now those virus total are not complaining about it anymore.

spacefractal

some antivirus report false positive. etc when you example uses steam drm, some scanners does not like that...... bugger.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/