programing to iPhone with no Mac... possible?

Previous topic - Next topic

ampos

Quote from: trucidare on 2010-Jul-29
its possible to let another one compile your app and create an ad hoc version, which you can simply drag & drop to your itunes and it will be installed after you put your device to sync.

Is that a question or an affirmation?
check my web and/or my blog :D
http://diniplay.blogspot.com (devblog)
http://www.ampostata.org
http://ampostata.blogspot.com
I own PC-Win, MacBook 13", iPhone 3G/3GS/4G and iPAC-WinCE

trucidare

an answer for the question if its possible to develope and test without mac.
MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 8600M GT
Core i3 - 3,07 GHz, 8 GB Ram, 2.5 TB HDD, Geforce GTX 260+ OC

matchy

Ad-Hoc provisions are for development testing, so if you can send and test on selected iPhones (via email). Deployment provisions are for the App store.

trucidare

matchy

I'm starting to feel the initial provisioning and certificate process headache again.  :puke:  :D

Kitty Hello

Yes. Ad-Hoc distribution is headache. For me anything with code sign is.  :puke:

MrTAToad

Had a questionnaire from Apple about the iPhone Developer Program - filled it in with a moan about the need  for all the code signing needed...

shawnus

So did I. My suggestion was for Apple to offer code signing etc as a managed service for a premium subscription (since they already have my details) - I'd happily pay for this (depending on the cost obviously) to let me concentrate on the essentials ie product development, marketing, etc.

'building for distribution' on a PC takes 30 seconds (just save as self contained exe) whereas with Apple its taken so far many, many hours!

Cheers, Shawn

Kitty Hello

@shawnus - exactly what I wrote them!!!

trucidare

Why the provisioning is a problem for all of you :D i have no problem with it.

MrTAToad

It takes ages - first you need to wait a day to get the initial certificate.  And if you want to do publishing of any sort, you've got another lot to deal with.

matchy

It's very easy to slip up the process during certificate and provisional file creation, especially the first time learning the system and with step instructions.

shawnus

I think there may be a gap in the market here for someone who can troubleshoot provisioning issues!

Before I finally knuckled down & got over my own I had previously tried to contact iphone developers here in N Yorkshire to assist- there were only 3 'viable' companies. After describing the problem 2 said they could not or did not have the expertise to help. The 3rd chap I got hold of was able to help (he teaches iphone development at Leeds Uni) but charges £1400 per day, broken down in hour blocks.

He was going to do it remotely using Skype + screen sharing - all free to set up he said. We did not get as far as a PO / specific quotes for time - he reckoned 2 hours, so I dont know how that would have been managed (I guess some downpayment followed by settlement of balance upon successful resolution).

Anyway, a quick trawl through iphone dev forums reveals many people in similar predicaments so those feeling entrepreunerial / altruistic...