3D Car Physics: Turbo Unleashed - Preview #1

Previous topic - Next topic

SBlectric

Just a preview of a 3D driving game I'm making using the Newton library.
For anyone who may be interested, the Mazda MPV came from the Google Sketchup warehouse (with a few edits by me, like the spoiler and paint job). I started this with the template wrapper for the Newton DLL that is included with the samples, but ended up adding all the vehicle functions in myself. The Newton vehicle joint is not the easiest thing to work with, so I've had a lot of trouble leading up to this point. So, I give you this preview, after much time spent swimming in blood, sweat, and tears.  :good:

Cool stuff and whatever

bigsofty

Wow, that's pretty amazing, you should be very proud of what you've achieved! :good:
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

erico

Sure Shot!

...I sense stunt car racer coming out...

Really great stuff! Congrats. :good:

mentalthink

Jeje the car it's very bouncy, I think yes... but the demo it's real cool!!! I think you are the first guy using Newton physics, I think all the poeple we stay focused whit mobile devices and forget impresive things can do GLbasic under dekstop platforms...(Perhpas it's better market than mobile devices).

I like a lot the movement when you turn to a side or another, how the car balance for each side this it's really nice, and I think make a rigging physics in a car it's a complex work.

I hope if your intention it's make car games you finish, can be wonderfull see a complex 3d game...

erico

SBlectric, out of curiosity, did you also try the bullets physics?

spacefractal

that is what im really needed for about 10 years ago, when im tried doing a Stunts remake only using flat colorered colors! Im dosent seen many games, even this is textures too.

Howover its look cool and you have done a very good job integrate Newton with that.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

SBlectric

About the bullets physics - would it be any easier? I really haven't seen a lot of vehicle stuff being used with physics engines. I may look at the commands and see what differences there are, etc. Also, the new version of Newton is apparently completely different than the GLBasic ported version (1.53 I think). Plus the many other open-source and free physics engines out there... :noggin:

In due time, I'll experiment with some of these, I guess. But thanks for your interest and support in this project. I promise to make something awesome out of it, whether it be a crashing game, racing game, or maybe even a strategy FPS with vehicles.  :)
Cool stuff and whatever

erico

Nice.

About bullet, Backslider did wrap some of it sometime ago and it looked really impressive.
Thread is here:
http://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?topic=7757.0

Keep it up and keep us posted. Really great stuff you have going! :booze:

mentalthink

Yes the port or backslider it's awesome the trouble don't works in mobile devices  :rant: :rant: , I hope someday turn take the project again, I try a couple of times to do something similar, but really I nedd more practice whit C++...  :-[ :-[

Backslider the Comunity needs you  :good: :good:  :P  :booze:

Slydog

Wow, impressive! Car physics using GLBasic!  :good:

I'm not sure how you are using the Newton engine to handle the car physics, but I've read on other forums where people have stability issues with cars, it is suggested to lower the center of gravity.  Not sure if your system has that parameter or not.  Just an idea.

Good luck, can't wait to see where this goes.
My current project (WIP) :: TwistedMaze <<  [Updated: 2015-11-25]

Hark0

A very good piece of code!!!

:good:

IMHO the car needs more weight... :P
http://litiopixel.blogspot.com
litiopixel.blogspot.com - Desarrollo videojuegos Indie · Pixel-Art · Retroinformática · Electrónica Development Indie Videogames · Pixel-Art · Retrocomputing · Electronic

r0ber7

I'd lower the center of gravity, it seems a bit topheavy. Other than that, I have much respect for what you've done. Way to go man.  :good:

SBlectric

Yeah, I've fixed the center of gravity (the Newton function for setting it was not wrapped correctly), now the car no longer tips over! =D It seems that by doing this the car also no longer flies upward when hitting the cones or crates, so hit two birds with one stone there. Now I'm convering my older, clunky code to utilize TYPEs. So it's getting there.  :)
Cool stuff and whatever

matchy

Fantastic and I'd like to believe it technically with a wrapper sample.  ;)