Newton Physics OS X (PPC)

Previous topic - Next topic

matty47

I believe that GLBasic uses the Newton Library as a dynamic library rather than statically linking. I have the libraries for Windows and Linux, but am not sure how to obtain / make the library for OS X. I am trialling on an Emac with System 10.5 installed. XCode is installed (Although I don't profess to really know how to use it). Has anyone used Newton and GLBasic on OS X? If so could you please give some advice on how to get Newton working or post the newton.dylib somewhere for download.
Thanks for your patience
Matthew

Kitty Hello

That would be a case for Trucidare to test. I'm not 100% sure if the .dylib loading code on OS-X works correctly. However, you would have to change the "dll"-name in the newton.gbas file first. Maybe Tricidare can take a look and see if we can load it. Would be required for Tcl/Tk, too.

matty47

Can GLBasic link static libraries? Under Klepto's 3d module for Blitzmax he links Newton statically thus doing away with the need to call a dynamic library. If GL can do this how do I set it up?
Thanks
Matthew

Kitty Hello

You will not get a static library for Newton, unless you are a close relative to Julio. If he claims to link "statically", he'd better read up waht "statically" means.

matty47

Sorry probably made a mistake in what I said.:S The module includes a libnewton.a for each platform and compiles this into the executable. I compiled a physics example for linux and when I ran ldd on the executable libnewton.so was not listed so I assumed (probably incorrectly) that the library had been statically linked. I will try on a windows machine later and see what happens.
Thanks for the reply
Matthew

Kitty Hello

Blimey. You might be right, then.
In this case, you might be able to link that library with the compiler flags in theproject/options dialog. But... what's the problem with shipping a .so/.dll file as well?