Copying and comparing TYPES?

Previous topic - Next topic

bigtunacan

I've creating an ANIMATION type that I use to store a single animation loop, then I assign multiple ANIMATIONS to a character and switch between these based on the state of the character.

Initialization looks something like this.
Code (glbasic) Select

ANGEL = FILE_LOADANIM("/Animations/Ubi/", "angel" + UBI_INDEX + ".xml")
FATSPR = FILE_LOADANIM("/Animations/Ubi/", "fat" + UBI_INDEX + ".xml")
FIRESPR = FILE_LOADANIM("/Animations/Ubi/", "fire" + UBI_INDEX + ".xml")
HITSPR = FILE_LOADANIM("/Animations/Ubi/", "hit" + UBI_INDEX + ".xml")

STATE = UBIFALLSPR

Then I try doing a comparison something like this.
Code (glbasic) Select

IF UBISTATE = UBIFALLSPR    // THIS ALWAYS RETURNS FALSE :(
UBIPOSY%=UBIPOSY%+1
ENDIF

I'm guessing that when I do the assignment it is actually creating a new object and the comparison is just checking if they are the same object.  Is there a way to do this as more of a BYREF style assignment and have my comparison come back as I expect?

MrTAToad

The easiest way would be do to a comparison function in the type...

bigtunacan

I'm trying to do a copy by reference though.  I want to do something like this; of course this does not work it really is just doing a new object inside the function and then assigns that back to the passed in reference.  I'm looking for an ASSIGN by reference functionality; I want variable A to point to the address of variable B, so that if I update attributes on A they are reflected in B and vice versa.

Code (glbasic) Select

TYPE ANIMATION
  SOME
  VARIABLES
  HERE

FUNCTION copy:  foo AS ANIMATION
    foo = self
    return foo
  ENDFUNCTION

ENDTYPE

When I tried to do that I received compiler errors
Code (glbasic) Select

In file included from C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\glbasic\gpc_tempg.cpp:2:
C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\glbasic\gpc_temp.h:116: error: `Anything' has not been declared
C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\glbasic\gpc_temp.h:116: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of `foo' with no type
C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\glbasic\gpc_tempg.cpp:110: error: `DGInt __GLBASIC__::ANIMATION::copy' is not a static member of `class __GLBASIC__::ANIMATION'
C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\glbasic\gpc_tempg.cpp:110: error: `Anything' was not declared in this scope
C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\glbasic\gpc_tempg.cpp:111: error: expected `,' or `;' before '{' token
In file included from C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\glbasic\gpc_temp0.cpp:1:
C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\glbasic\gpc_temp.h:116: error: `Anything' has not been declared
C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\glbasic\gpc_temp.h:116: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of `foo' with no type
In file included from C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\glbasic\gpc_temp1.cpp:1:
In file included from C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\glbasic\gpc_temp2.cpp:1:
In file included from C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\glbasic\gpc_temp3.cpp:1:
In file included from C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\glbasic\gpc_temp4.cpp:1:
In file included from C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\glbasic\gpc_temp5.cpp:1:
In file included from C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\glbasic\gpc_temp6.cpp:1:
*** FATAL ERROR - Please post this output in the forum

bigsofty

I don't really understand the question but the syntax is wrong for GLB. GLB needs to know what type you are returning from a function.

So this...
Code (glbasic) Select
  FUNCTION copy:  foo AS ANIMATION
    foo = self
    return foo
  ENDFUNCTION

becomes this...
Code (glbasic) Select
FUNCTION copy AS ANIMATION: foo AS ANIMATION 
    foo = self
    RETURN foo
  ENDFUNCTION

which could be shortened to this...
Code (glbasic) Select
FUNCTION copy AS ANIMATION:
    RETURN self
  ENDFUNCTION
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

bigtunacan

Sorry; that was just some untested sample code, you are right that it should be slightly different, but the issue remains the same. 

Here, I will try to provide a better example using the same function.

Code (glbasic) Select

TYPE ANIMATION
  VAR1
  VAR2

FUNCTION copy AS ANIMATION:
    RETURN self
  ENDFUNCTION

FUNCTION init:
    // set some vars here...
    VAR1 = 1
    VAR2 = 2
  ENFUNCTION
ENDTYPE

A AS ANIMATION
B AS ANIMATION
A.init()
B = A.copy()
B.VAR1 = 3

PRINT A.VAR1, 0, 0
PRINT B.VAR1, 0, 200

This would print to the screen

Code (glbasic) Select

This is because the B = A or B = A.copy() results in a new TYPE instance being created for B with a copy of the values from A.  At the point in time that I make the copy; they look the same, but they are really clones, not 1 same object.  Changes made to A do not update B and same for changes to B do not update A.  This is a VALUE copy.  I'm wanting a REFERENCE copy; so I would like B = A to really just mean that B POINTs TO A; just as we would do using pointer logic in C/C++. 

Maybe this is possible only through some inlining of C++ code into my game, but I am hoping this is not the case and there is some type of simple pointer based assignment in GLBasic that i just am unaware of?

bigtunacan

I tried to do this directly in C++ using INLINE like this

Code (glbasic) Select

FUNCTION copyanim: a AS ANIMATION, b AS ANIMATION
INLINE
a = &b;
ENDINLINE
ENDFUNCTION

I expected this would actually work, but it fails to compile!

Code (glbasic) Select

IncrediBuild skips: UpUpUbi.gbas, Globals.gbas, jolib2.gbas, Ubi.gbas, VolcanoIsland.gbas, xmlparser.gbas,
C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\glbasic\gpc_temp1.cpp: In function `DGInt __GLBASIC__::copyanim(__GLBASIC__::ANIMATION&, __GLBASIC__::ANIMATION&)':
C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\glbasic\gpc_temp1.cpp:115: error: no match for 'operator=' in 'a = +b'
C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\glbasic\gpc_temp.h:131: note: candidates are: __GLBASIC__::ANIMATION& __GLBASIC__::ANIMATION::operator=(const __GLBASIC__::ANIMATION&)
*** FATAL ERROR - Please post this output in the forum

MrTAToad

Thats because there is no equality routine in the type when compiling :)

bigtunacan

This just confuses me more.  I'm not trying to do a comparison in my inline C++; I'm trying to do a simple pointer assignment. 

bigsofty

Could you just not stick your ANIMATION types in an array, then use a State variable as an index?

Something like this...

Code (glbasic) Select
TYPE ANIMATION

spriteBase%
  currentFrame%
  frames%[]

FUNCTION load: filename$
  ENDFUNCTION

FUNCTION animate:
  ENDFUNCTION

ENDTYPE

CONSTANT falling = 0
CONSTANT jumping = 1

GLOBAL state = falling

GLOBAL a[] AS ANIMATION
DIM a[2]

a[falling].load("falling.xml")
a[jumping].load("jumping.xml")

a[state].animate()

IF state=falling THEN blah...

Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Kitty Hello

Uhm

Function copy: a as T, b as T
a=b
Endfunction

Local a as T, b as T
b.val=100
copy(a,b)

this should work.

Kitty Hello

Ah. Silly me. You need a reference? What for?
Alias would generate a reference.

Slydog

I ran into the 'how do a get a reference to a type' issue a year or so ago.
I have my own 'Font' type specifying settings for each one of my fonts (including the graphics file).

I also created my own 'Gui' type, and wanted each gui element to have a 'font' setting.
After researching this for a bit I realized GLBasic doesn't offer references, just copies.
So each of my gui elements (buttons, labels, etc) had a COPY of each font object, a huge memory waste.
(Only evident after making changes to the master font instance, and noticing the copies weren't changing too?!)

What I did (kinda kludgy) was instead store a font 'id' in each element, and have a font lookup based on id (or a font array and the id is the index).

I have used ALIAS in other situations, but wasn't clear or apparent it could be used in these situations.
My current project (WIP) :: TwistedMaze <<  [Updated: 2015-11-25]

bigsofty

One problem with Alias is that you cant copy and store the value in a variable, it will copy the what its pointing to instead.
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

Slydog

So, do we need a new GLBasic command? (ie 'BYREF')

Code (glbasic) Select
LOCAL one AS TFoo // Normal TFoo instance
LOCAL two AS TFoo // Normal TFoo instance
LOCAL three AS TFoo BYREF // Reference to a TFoo instance

one.parameter = 49
two = one
three = one
one.parameter = 72
DEBUG two.parameter // Prints "49"
DEBUG three.parameter // Prints "72"

[Edit] But what do you do if you reference 'three' before it has been assigned?
It would be 'null' and therefore you would need a new error 'BYREF Variable not assigned!' or something.
My current project (WIP) :: TwistedMaze <<  [Updated: 2015-11-25]

MrTAToad

You can't really reference TFoo as its just a type definition.

For a comparison, you would have to write your own routine, something like :

Code (glbasic) Select
TYPE Ta
a%;b%;c%

FUNCTION compare%:b AS Ta
IF self.a%=b.a% AND self.b%=b.b% AND self.c%=b.c%
RETURN TRUE
ELSE
RETURN FALSE
ENDIF
ENDFUNCTION
ENDTYPE