GLBasic v10 JPG support?

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Schneider

Before upgrading to GLBasic v10 I'd like to know if it has support for JPG.

Maybe many think that is not important for games, but it is, because is used for "screens" (like the menus ones) and for backgrounds (that scrolling cyclic sky with mountains). So JPG helps to reduce the application size, particularly for hi-res devices, and image in 2048x1024 (cyclic background in hi-res) uses so much disk space in PNG format, and in JPG can be reduced up to 1/4 of the PNG file size.

Multiply that size by the number of screens and backgrounds...¡are many megabytes!  :noggin:

MrTAToad

Yes, Jpegs should work properly now, and has been for a while...

Dark Schneider

erico

great, an adventure game may easily get to 100 screens. :)

spacefractal

dont  compress them to much, so dont use 50% compression or such, just use few %, which often look nice. This due the jpg artifats can look very bad due the very mobile sharp screens we have to day.

That way I dont like them, but howover I do agree they can been use for many things where sharpness is not 100% important (backgrounds, loading, menus and so on).

PS. Its would been nice to support pvr format too, which is a OpenGL format for IOS as well (possible Android). Its a anotehr compression format, but keept compressed in memory and hence its can render faster. pvr does have artifact too, but mostly on the alpha.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/