HP WebOS is back!

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Price

It's just a delay before they pull the plug on webOS. That it is all.

Nobody wants to touch webOS. HP are just pushing it around from one corner to another, hoping that it'll look better in a different part of the room, when they really know it won't.
I came. I saw. I played.

BdR

The dicision to abort WebOS was made by Leo Apotheker and recently HP gave the new CEO the boot. However, Leo Apotheker still recieves est. $13 million USD for 11 months of "work"! Seriously for WHAT, for kicking HP when they're already in the gutter!? These kinds of practices really piss me off! :rant: It's wrong on so many levels.

Kitty Hello

Let's pray for the best developer platform ever.

I think I have the Android issues fixed now - but I still don't like it as much.

Hatonastick

Yup, unfortunately this is standard practice for so many "large" companies/corporations.  There was one recently here in Australia that gave its ex-CEO some multi-million dollar payout after he practically drove the company into the ground.  I really don't understand how executives can be worth this much.  Especially when you take into account stock holders may miss out on getting their money back and the people who actually do the work may miss out on some of their severance pay.  I really struggle with the way modern big business is run.
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).

Hatonastick

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2011-Oct-28
Let's pray for the best developer platform ever.

I think I have the Android issues fixed now - but I still don't like it as much.
Well unfortunately it's just the way it goes sometimes.  I happen to be a Symbian fan (goes back to my Psion 5MX days, although it wasn't known as Symbian then I think), but that's pretty much a dead-end as far as the store or software development goes -- it's all C++ anyway which I doubt I could even attempt anymore.  Actually come to think of it I liked programming for my Palm in C as well when I owned one of them (years ago).  Technology dies off and we all shuffle onto the next big thing. ;)

So while I'm not Androids biggest fan, compiling something on my PC and having it appear on a mobile device I own has been a big thrill for me (when I eventually worked out what things Id done wrong :)) that I haven't experienced in some time.  I'm really looking forward to writing programs for this clunky, cheap and nasty Android tablet my sister gave me -- and who knows, maybe I'll end up writing a game for it that I could try selling on the store. :)
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).

doimus

Quote from: BdR on 2011-Oct-28
The dicision to abort WebOS was made by Leo Apotheker and recently HP gave the new CEO the boot. However, Leo Apotheker still recieves est. $13 million USD for 11 months of "work"! Seriously for WHAT, for kicking HP when they're already in the gutter!? These kinds of practices really piss me off! :rant: It's wrong on so many levels.

Oh, the wonderful world of neo-liberal capitalism (or whatever this abomination of world economy is called)...  :puke:

Regarding mobile platforms, from where I live I don't have much choice. Apple is the only one who actually allows to develop and make money on iOS.  So screw you all HP, Google, etc...
Really, "business" world can be a real pain-in-the-backside once you move away from the comfortable US/EU zone.

Ian Price

I came. I saw. I played.

MrTAToad

Indeed - it will be a shame...  But unfortunately the Tablet wasn't as good as it should have been and the phones weren't that popular...