Scramble Remake

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitty Hello

bigsofty

Wow, this is cool, very retro... again, a nice example of the power of GLBasic!

Ian
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

bigsofty

Just a small tech question, I noticed that the end of the vector lines are square, is there a way rounding them off?

Ian
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Kitty Hello

yes :D
In this quick crap sample, I just drew every line-piece as one line with rectangular angles. It looks quite nice, since the Vectrex had brighter corners as well. However, if you really want to make it nice, you would have to draw the polylines as such by tilting the start/end angles by the average of (this-line-angle - next-line-angle)/2. Know what I mean?

bigsofty

Hmmm, not sure, I think so... wouldnt it be simpler to blit a little sphere at the begining and end of your polyline?

Ian
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

Kitty Hello

You can 'see' the box, because I alphablend the lines. Thus, the overlapping pieces show up brighter. Same problem with sphere image at the end. If you draw them solid, there's the problem, that the sphere would draw over the already drawn line part that should stay.
So, it's really a problem if you try to draw "round" corners for wide lines. Then you would have to draw rectangular corners for convex sides and the method above for concave sides. The convewx sides would have to be drawn "round" with a polysprite additionally. For the scramble remake that would be overkill. If, however you plan to draw really wide line stips it would make sense.
Not much code, but bit of a brain twister.

bigsofty

Ah, I see, ah well never mind. I thought of a solution using semi-circles, lines with a normal vector used to rotated the semi circles at each end of the line... but your right, overkill...
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

mikiex

looks cool, I was checking out if it would work on pocket pc, I removed a few things but it doesn't  work. loads, I see text, but no other graphics

does polyvector work on pocket pc?

Kitty Hello

Oh. polyvector might not work. Try DRAWLINE to see if it does. If it would, it is terribly slow!

Kitty Hello

Uploaded a new version with keyboard, joystick movement and internet highscore.

bigsofty

Quote from: GernotFrischOh. polyvector might not work. Try DRAWLINE to see if it does. If it would, it is terribly slow!
Is there a table to what commands are comapatable with what platform?
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

Kitty Hello

Usually all commands do work. I'll check for and add a list if it's not the case

bigsofty

What is the 3D driver for the PPC (OpenGL ES, Mesa3d for example)?
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

Kitty Hello

My own OpenGL implementation. A very simple rasterizer - but light weight. Was a lot of work. Is very fast, but it lacks some features (which I left for speed reasons). Compare GLBasic with any other 3D package - speed = GLBasic

bigsofty

Ah your own Gernot, very impressive. :)
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)