Sidtracker-64

Previous topic - Next topic

bigsofty

This one is not free but its just so damn good I though I would write up some info.

This is an iOS app that emulates the C64 SID Chip and wraps it in a lovely tracker util. It cost UK £9.99 and its great for creating Chiptunes. The interface is just as good too, very intuitive, easy to pick up and for a tracker that's almost unheard of!

Some specs...
Code (glbasic) Select
SID synthesizer engine specs:
· Fully emulated SID 8580 R5 chip.
· 3 separate voices
· 8 waveforms - tri, saw, pulse with pwm, noise, trisaw, tripulse, sawpulse, nowave
· Wavetable editing
· 3 volume envelopes
· Dedicated vibrato controls
· 1 multimode filter LP/BP/HP (12/6/12db) with sweep envelope
· Filter table editing. Change filter cutoff and modes up to 1/240
· Hard sync and Ringmod per voice
· PWM sweep envelop
· PWM table editing
· Hard restart
· Variable emulation speed from 25-240hz (standard 50)
· 32 instruments per song (copy/paste/rename)

Tracker (sequencer):
· 3 voice patterns
· Mute voices on/off
· Change instrument per step
· FX pattern - change volume/filter/speed per step
· Loop pattern
· Song building
· Live or step recording
· Metronome / count in
· Follow mode
· Note effects (Glide/sustain/vibrato/filter & pulse reset/tie)
· Song mode with transpose

Midi:
· Keyboard input 1-3 voices (mono, duo and polyphonic)
· CC-assignable synth parameteras
· Modulation wheel vibrato
· Pitch bend
· Midi Clock in
· Selectable input channel

Export:
· .s64 - native SidTracker 64 file
· .m4a - audio
· .sid - for use in sidplayer
· .prg - exports play data for a real Commodore 64

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2015/06/sidtracker-64-puts-retro-chip-music-creation-ipad/
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

spacefractal

would also been nice to see this as a VTS or such plugin for uses with a sequencer. Its a bit pricy, but the UI looks pretty nice.

Also im have loved the SID chip, which is the main reason im allways liked Commodore 64.  Im was more a music guy than a graphics guy that time.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

erico

Looks like fun! :good:
Easy way to make original SIDs for Slay Radio!

bigsofty

I'm a big chip music fan too, mainly the old time 8 bit guys, Rob Hubbard, Martin Gallway etc. I find it very relaxing after a days coding to sit on the sofa making bleeps and blips on this type of app. I am absolutely useless, composition wise but its very enjoyable none the less.

This little util is probably the best I've ever seen on any tablet with regards to chip tune composition. The programmer has done a superb job of removing the complication that tracking usually entails. At the same time he's created a technically accurate and wonderfully sounding soft-synthesiser.  :nw:

B.T.W. Spacefractal, a great VST, which I own and can recommend is Sidizer ( http://www.hypersynth.com/sidizer.html ). This will enable you to access the SID sound on most Windows DAWs/Trackers/Sequencers (I use it with ReNoise) that can handle VST/VSTi's. Its not cheap but it basically works and works well when it comes to producing that authentic SID sound.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)