Mac OS-X Compilation error

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyH

Hi

Getting this error when compiling to Mac...

*** Configuration: OS-X_UNI ***
precompiling:
GPC - GLBasic Precompiler V.2008.073 - 3D, NET
Wordcount:2097 commands

compile+link:
/cygdrive/c/Program Files/GLBasic/Compiler/platform/Mac/Bin/../libexec/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/ld: table of contents for archive: /cygdrive/C/Program Files/GLBasic/Compiler/platform/Mac/OSX/Lib/libGLBasicUni.a is out of date; rerun ranlib(1) (can't load from it)
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
*** FATAL ERROR - Please post this output in the forum

All other platforms seem to be OK.

Kitty Hello

strange. Not for me. What's the last change of your "compiler/platform/Mac/OSX/lib/libGLBasicUni.a", and what size is it?
I chat with others and they tell me it's OK. Does HelloWorld fail?

AndyH

It's doing it for my game.  Will try a smaller program - yea same problem with any.

The file is dated 17th March 2008, size 1,621,232 bytes.

*** Configuration: OS-X_UNI ***
precompiling:
GPC - GLBasic Precompiler V.2008.073 - 3D, NET
Wordcount:29 commands

compile+link:
/cygdrive/c/Program Files/GLBasic/Compiler/platform/Mac/Bin/../libexec/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/ld: table of contents for archive: /cygdrive/C/Program Files/GLBasic/Compiler/platform/Mac/OSX/Lib/libGLBasicUni.a is out of date; rerun ranlib(1) (can't load from it)

Kitty Hello

Great :/. It's the correct version but it fails...
Could you try uninstalling/reinstalling + Live Updating, please? As the error is not happening to others, it's hard to tell.

AndyH

Will do, but I'll wait until after the 00:00 competition deadline tonight before I try that.  ;)

BasicMe

Did anyone ever discover the cause of this problem?  I'm currently up-to-date with version 5.235, and I just got the same error when trying to compile to Mac.

I have GLBasic installed in C:\Program Files\GLBasic.  But it's not in a "cygdrive" folder...is that an issue?

"FlipIRdata.gbas"(56) warning : probably unassigned variable : musicfiles$
Wordcount:763 commands

compile+link:
Elapsed: 2.6 sec. Time: 14:18
Build: 0 succeeded.
*** 1 FAILED ***

bigsofty

"cygdrive" is not a folder its a virtual drive used by Cygwin, its like a virtual master drive that treats all of your drives like partitions... so "/cygdrive/c/" is actually drive "C:\" or /cygdrive/d/ is actually drive "D:\"

This is the real error...

"libGLBasicUni.a is out of date; rerun ranlib(1) (can't load from it)"
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Kitty Hello

Very strange. Please uninstall and re-install the complete SDK (your samples won't be hurt).
It' strange, but someone else had this once before.

BasicMe

I uninstalled GLBasic (including manually deleting the samples & all remaining folders, just to be safe).  Then I re-installed it, and did the internet update to version 5.246.

I'm still getting the exact same error.  :(

Kitty Hello

Post file size and last-change date for GLBasic\Compiler\Mac\OSX\lib\libGLBasicUni.a, please.

BasicMe

This is what the Windows properties tell me:

Location: C:\Program Files\GLBasic\Compiler\platform\Mac\OSX\Lib
Size: 1.55 MB (1,627,800 bytes)
Size on disk: 1.55 MB (1,630,208 bytes)

Created: Today, April 28, 2008, 11:42:07 AM
Modified: Today, April 28, 2008, 2:22:46 PM
Accessed: Today, April 28, 2008, 11:42:07 AM

BasicMe

I tried uninstalling, reinstalling, and updating again...still no luck.

HOWEVER...

When I installed it on a computer that had never had GLBasic installed before, the Mac compile worked fine!  So I then copied & pasted the entire GLBasic directory back onto my first computer, and this time it worked!!

So bottom line: I found a solution that works for me, but still no idea why I had the problem in the first place.  :/

Kitty Hello

OK, I hope it will stay working now... :/