How did you learn to program?

Previous topic - Next topic

kamakazieturtle

The poll is only for two days ,because it is for my PowerPoint for Computer Science Class. Please everyone who reads vote! :whip:

Ian Price

I presume magazines count as books? The internet didn;t exist when I startd coding. All I had was a copy of an Amstrad CPC magazine that had listings in it, way back in 1984. I got my CPC for Christmas and it didn't have any games. Shops were all shut, so I had to type out the listings. I enjoyed the coding more than the games themselves. Ah, the goode olde days :D
I came. I saw. I played.

erico

same with me, magazines like rainbow and some eletronic(subject not midia hehe) magazines for the tk-82c (2kb of memory! UAU who could ask for more??).

matchy

Generally, in the early 80s, all there would be is a keyboarded box (coco2), black & white TV (at first) and a manual.

Kitty Hello

lo. Ace read, Ian. Me, too. I got a (very expensive  for my parents) C128 w/o games on X-Mas. And then there was the BASIC manual...

erico

very expensive indeed, I remember my dad getting sick (psychologicaly) after buying me an amiga 500. bearing in mind computers in brazil at that time (90s) costed a MINIMUM of twice the price advertised on foreign magazines, not to count that our money at the time was 1 to 10 for dollars and a lot more for pounds...

kamakazieturtle

Quote from: Ian Price on 2009-Dec-07
I presume magazines count as books? The internet didn;t exist when I startd coding.

Indeed it does count, this is more a way to show that no one can just go to school and know how to program. It takes a skill that is acquired by a passion.

MrTAToad

With me, it was mainly studying the C64 Programmers Manual...

Hatonastick

I was constructed from left over bits and pieces from 8-bit computers, at least one of which included a copy of Locomotive BASIC on a ROM.  I never needed to learn.

Um ok, well I'm from the 8-bit era too when you learnt how to program from the computer manual or magazines.

kamakazieturtle

I'm only 3 years out of highschool so I started messing with computers probably at about 6/7 years ago. Then programming didn't come much later. Bought quite a few C++ books, as well as Blitz and Visual Basic Books. But I think most of my knowledge is from the forums on DCEmu.co.uk and GP32X.com. Of course not being able to get far in C++ (Still can't get graphical! :S) once I learned some GLBasic I was hooked. Now this is my main forum and I enjoy deving pointless projects that never get completed and don't ever get up to the standard I wish they could be. All because I'm so obsessed, haha. :nw:

kamakazieturtle

Bump.

Poll closes tonight at 7:00 P.M. Eastern (US & Canada).
So everybody who sees this and hasn't yet, please vote.

Thanks everyone for all the results thus so far.  :good:

kamakazieturtle

Poll Closed, thank you everyone for your votes!  :enc:

Edit: I'm in class right now and just finished my presentation. Mission accomplished, thanks again everyone.

Achim

I started back in 1982 learning BASIC on my good old Sinclair ZX81  =D
- www.softworxs.de -
[Be different - play smart]

Schranz0r

I start with a Amiga 500 ;) but i had a C64 , too. :P
I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

Hemlos

Wow,

I started on my friends c64 in the 5th grade at 10yo, then got a c128 for my 12 birthday.
I borrowed games, and tinkered in them, instead of playing them.

@Ocean: You invented the microchip?  8)
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O