Gamehack UK 28th/29th April @Pinewood studios

Previous topic - Next topic

quangdx

http://www.gamehack.co.uk/

would be great to see as many of you there as possible,
i'll be there, to write a game for Asobitech 1UP game series using GLBasic.
Asobi tech - the science of play.
Spare time indiegame developer.

quangdx

busy assembling my team.
Coder (me), artist, sound and project management.
Really wish I got involved in these events a lot sooner.

Kitty Hello

Nathan

Kitty Hello

Yeah - from some train station only 1113 km from here ;)

quangdx

Unfortunately it's a bit far for you to go Gernot, but maybe a weekend in the UK is something you can plan?
I know there's a few other UK GLBasic coders here,
make the effort and come along.

Wampus

Looks like a lot of fun. Some good prizes there too. Wish I could come but Canada is just a little bit too far to come from.

I love the idea of these 'make a game in only x hours' type of compos. Never tried it.

Slydog

Ha, I know, being from Canada makes most tech / game events costly to attend!
We could split the gas money?! ha

Ludemdare contests are very tempting, but they take place on the weekend!  I value my weekends! ha
I also love the quick game idea, never tried it. 
I'm too much of a perfectionist to probably complete even the simplest game in 48hrs.

So . . . any plans of another GLBasic competition? (There hasn't been any since I started with GLB! maybe one?)
Or a quick 48hr (or a week) competition like Ludemdare?
Or, to get some of us off our butts, "finish your game by a certain date"?!

Heck, I'd even donate a prize or two (slightly used toys I've bought and never use!)
But hey, I sure most of us don't even want a prize, just the satisfaction of completing and competing!
My current project (WIP) :: TwistedMaze <<  [Updated: 2015-11-25]

bigsofty

1055KM, 11.30 min for me and I live in the UK!

It's a constant irritation to me that we live on a long island and for some reason everything is stuck at one end? Why not in the middle?  :P
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

fuzzy70

Quote from: bigsofty on 2012-Mar-22

It's a constant irritation to me that we live on a long island and for some reason everything is stuck at one end? Why not in the middle?  :P

Do you live on the Shetland Isles  :D

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

quangdx

As I understand it, this may be the first Game hack event in the UK.
And yes, like most things in the UK, it's around London.

I usually read about events being held in Europe (Germany etc...), USA and Canada,
so I'm very excited that this will be the first event of it's kind, that I get to go to.
For a while I thought about maybe trying to organise something like this myself.

Coding a game a week has been a great learning curve, forcing me to actually complete games,
rather than sit on them for months and months, until I get bored and never finish them.

A weekend of inspiration in a room of like minded people, sounds like an awesome idea.

Wampus

Quote from: quangdx on 2012-Mar-22
Coding a game a week has been a great learning curve, forcing me to actually complete games,
rather than sit on them for months and months, until I get bored and never finish them.

That is such a common thing! So many games never get seen because the last 5-10% of the work is boring and sometimes awkward. I have several like that.

Today I will write a game in 5 hours.

...maybe limit of 7 hours if I can't manage 5.

quangdx

Quote from: Wampus on 2012-Mar-22

Today I will write a game in 5 hours.

...maybe limit of 7 hours if I can't manage 5.

Excellent stuff Wampus,
I originally wrote Runaway Santa in 10 hours on Christmas day.
I look forward to seeing what you create.

Wampus

Awesome :) I'm starting in 1/2 hour

I'm recording what I do as a video so I can upload to YouTube the process compressed into to a minute or two. The person doing the art & sound is going to do the same.

bigsofty

Quote from: fuzzy70 on 2012-Mar-22
Quote from: bigsofty on 2012-Mar-22

Do you live on the Shetland Isles  :D

Lee

I'm on the mainland (Just! :P), here... http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=durness&ll=56.687592,13.225215&spn=19.691804,67.631836&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Durness,+Highland,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&t=v&z=5
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)