PeeJay's Game Programming Tutorial

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitty Hello

I'm not much of an artist myself. I found, that it's quite easy to use images searched with google, then paste them in CorelDraw (Version 11 is cheap and good, or use any other vector program) and paint the shapes with simple primitives. Then add some gradient filling to each shape and you're pretty much done.
It's not really superb graphics, but it kind of worked for me. Best example:
http://www.greatgamesexperiment.com/game/TwisterDanceMat
If you take a close look at the graphics, you'll notice how simple they are made. But the overall experience is quite OK (for me).

François Vanzeveren

Hello,

I think there is a small bug in lesson 5 in the following code:
Code (glbasic) Select
IF py    en.dify=0-RND(3)
ELSE
    en.dify=RND(3)
ENDIF
There is a chance that the speed of the enemy is 0... and it will stay in memory, but outside the screen...

I think it should be something like:
Code (glbasic) Select
IF py    en.dify=-(1+RND(2))
ELSE
    en.dify=1+RND(2)
ENDIF
Voilà!

PeeJay

Ah, well spotted. I'm afraid that found it's way in as I was translating from another language to GL Basic :(

I'm glad you enjoyed working your way through the tutorial - now you have the full version of GL Basic, you can find a more advanced tutorial on my site that you might find useful too ....
www.peejays-remakes.co.uk
For games, remakes, and GL Basic Tutorials
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

StylovisionS

Hi everyone! I'm reading PeeWee's tutorial at my work computer (my home computer isn't connected to the internet!). I'm trying to copy the tutorial via screen print so I can print out a copy, but the format on Lesson 5 is messed up! Is there any chance this can be rectified so I can read the tutorial in the comfort of my own home?

Danke!

Daryl

EDIT: Never fear, I have found the tutorials to print out on PeeWee's site :D

Ian Price

The very least you could do is show PeeJay some respect, by getting his name right. It's printed on the screen and I'm sure it appears in his tutorials.

Then you can thank him for the excellent work he has done in putting it all together.
I came. I saw. I played.

XanthorXIII

I think this needs to be stickied.
Owlcat has wise

the.weavster

Thanks PeeJay  :)

Although I've been programming for years (primarily with REALbasic) I've never even attempted a game, your tutorial has been very helpful not only in getting familiar with using GLBasic but also with the nuts and bolts of creating a game.

Weave

Stevester

Fantastic tutorial series!  :good:

I'm aware of the processes and structure but its really handy to see the GLBasic commands in use. Allows me to shortcut a lot of searching through the help file!

I'm guessing this was originally put together for Blitz.

Well commented final version and the little touches used are very effective.

Love Peejay's remakes site as well (I also owned the Cascade 50 cassette!!!).

PeeJay

Thanks all  - it's nice to know that people have found it useful in giving them a foot on the ladder. You are quite correct Stevester - it was originally a Blitz tutorial, which I then rewrote as I made the change over to GLBasic myself, so I could learn the syntax and differences as I went along.

Rumour has it that there may be another 50 crap games in the pipeline, but I wouldn't hold your breath (both for the length of time it may take, and because for crap games, I wouldn't even hold a fart in!)  :D
www.peejays-remakes.co.uk
For games, remakes, and GL Basic Tutorials
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

caffeinekid