Future of Glbasic!

Previous topic - Next topic

Cliff3D

Quote from: dreamerman on 2018-Aug-27
Whatever will happen just leave both current native compiling for Android and iOS/MacOS so we could still publish games on alternative markets - Amazon, BeMobi or even just as freeware on website...

Absolutely the ability to compile for and run on Android is more important to me than the ability to support any one specific store - even Google's own one. For now at least users can always sideload.

Cheers,

Cliff3D

Cliff3D

Quote from: spacefractal on 2018-Aug-273D mightbeen dichted in first version eventuelly.

I am very bad with languages, and accents. Could someone please translate that to show full support for 3D!

Thanks,

Cliff3D

spacefractal

Html5 might not supports 3d very well, but have excellent 2d support.

3d was only eventually might need removed and get a excellent 2d first on that platform, and add it back later it possible. But hopefully works,  but I'm have newer have done 3d stuff. It's was meant for html5 platform only. Not on rest of the platforms.

Google Play is no longer supported by the native platform in glbasic and I'm will not update it, due the previous issues.  Same with iOS and MacOS. But you can use amazon App Store and such market instead.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Paul Smith

No sure if Kitty Hello has given up yet with the quotes from yesterday thread
"Amazing. Can I use screenshots of this game to promote GLBasic?"

I would like to know how far he willing to go or future plans with GLbasic.

I agree that Iphone/android should not be updated to Android Studio as there not enough user even if we paid Spacefractal for his time. I still use the Android compiler and hope its not removed on future updates ( If any).

Long Live GLbasic  =D
Amstrad CPC 6128, ATARI STE.
Acer  SW5-173 & AMD RYZEN 7,RTX 3060TI

Kitty Hello

Maybe we can use GLBasic for Android to create an android studio project template? Basically, you only include files and compile.
I think a future step would be to compile everything into ONE .cpp file which you can include into any platform SDK or whatever. So, you can compile GLBasic projects on your Mac or whatnot. The backends should be able to cover most of the target platforms - we put so much work into that...

Ian Price

It's really pleasing to see that Gerno hasn't abandoned GLBasic and is still considering it to have a future.

WOOT!!!

BGW - Hi all, been a while. Life...
I came. I saw. I played.

MrPlow

This is GREAT news or at least positive for the future!
Hey Gernot,
Feel free to use screenshots of my titles too!
=D
Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

spacefractal

As im see for Android, the android does uses various precompiled libraries? We CANNOT use precompiled sld libraries at all. All source is required, include sld (except the google and OUYA SDK of course). There is various precompiled to this platform, we no longer can use.

The main reason is we cannot compile to newer cpu, such as the INTEL as well 64bit cpus.

With APPle, we require howover a move to METAL platform and not OPENGL. OpenGL is out after v12 or some versions after. All OpenGL calls is howover is in the xcode file, so its should been possible with a wrapper (such as this one: https://moltengl.com/moltengl). But im have not a change  to do anything.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

spacefractal

We need a trailer for glbasic in the Full HD or Native HD. Can somebody here create a little timelapse video, how its look like when codning a game in glbasic? Its for a Steam Release.

bigsofty

Good to see the gang coming together again on this thread! :D

More portable C++ output would be great IMHO!  :good:
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

MrPlow

I think a new logo is called for too for your Steam release :)
Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

Moru

I do not see an end for Basic the language. Sure, python and other things are cool right now but they will dwindle with time. They will get more and more complicated to do something simple, using more resources. Sooner or later we are at the end of what the cpu can handle or we suddenly get something new and cool that has a much smaller CPU and memory (Remember the first iPhone? :-)

Basic will come back, people are already looking for easier ways and what can be easier than Basic? The drag 'n' drop programming mentality of today has it's limits still. If you can make whatever game in a drag 'n' drop environment you will have such a mastodont project that it would be easier to just throw something together in Basic.

I'm happy to see that we're not giving up on GLBasic, it represents a lot of work and optimisations!

Heiko

Hey guys, I've read the last few months here and there.
I used to spend a lot of time with GLBasic before. An unforgettable time. It would be nice to continue with GLB.
I only program for Windows and I hope it continues there .
Of course there are alternatives, but already alone because of the good old days .....
Which opengl version is currently supported by glb? Greater than 1.1?

spacefractal

OpenGl would not been changed. That change is Apple have removed Extractly OpenGL support, but howover all calls was in a c-objective file, which means its mightbeen possible to use such a wrapper instead. SDL was not used here.

Windows is still the primary of course, include when its release on Steam. Im still waiting for various required assets files we can use on Steam as well a trailer.

Then im will help to get build up running for auto uploading etc.

bigsofty

Hi Heiko,

No ones suggesting that GLBasic is ending, the thread title is a little misleading IMHO.

The 1.1 restriction is actually the Windows default header. You can link a gl extentions header via the project linker fields, I've linked to GLee( https://www.opengl.org/sdk/libs/GLee/ ) in my game, which ads all the extensions for OpenGL 3.0. This for all intents and purposes is a quick GL upgrade to 3.0.

@Spacefractal:

OpenGL support on iOS is depreciated it hasn't been removed. There is an important semantic difference here. When Apple announced this in July, there was quite a backlash in the Apple dev community, many threatening to leave the Apple dev ecosystem for good. I think Apple has taken heed, most people recon that GL will be supported, in its current form for at least the next 5 years. This is how long is took Apple to remove Carbon once it was declared depreciated(2012-2017).

That said, I don't develop for Apple, this "my way or the highway" attitude towards its dev community annoys me no end. That and the App Store is a mess of Chinese crapware or giant corporations consistently hitting the top of the App Store search engine. I would personally not mind if GLBasic committed 100% to desktop. ESP. to Steam as a target.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)